• Create Account

Remote game editor - Web-based or Native code

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Althar   Members   -  Reputation: 397

0Likes

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hello all,

I have been tinkering with the idea of a remote game editor/framework to service the game engine I am currently working on during my spare time & have been looking into various ways of doing it. I have read about Insomniac's Luna server, Bitsquid as well as a blog post which is what brings me here : 

I have decided to go "remote" for a couple reasons : 

• I like the approach & have had the chance to "try it out"
  • Ability to attach the editor to the game at any point in time (provided the game is running a server)
  • Separation of processes between the editor/game-engine
    • Better flexibility in the event of bugs/crashes
    • Loose coupling favours a plugin architecture & enables easier parallel development

I am currently using SFML as my core library and thought I would mess around with TCP sockets to get something basic up and running. The result is a game communicating with the editor.

Establishing a channel to send messages around was piece of cake, but I actually feel like I wasted most of my time trying to get the editor up and running (using wxWidgets) least to say looking nice : I cannot fathom building a flexible plugin-friendly editor this way...

Although my web knowledge is quite rusty, I am quite intrigued by the additional benefits that a web-based editor would give, namely :

• Ability to run the editor from any modern device (tablets included)
  • No compilation - simply edit in the text editor of your choice
  • Easy to turn into a plugin architecture / edit to add new features
  • Customizable themes (JQuery UI looks pretty slick already)
  • Database/data friendly - just pick any : SQL, MongoDB, etc.

All in all, I was hoping you guys would share your thought and opinions about the following questions :

• Has anyone got any experiences using either HTML5/JQuery with websockets or TCP/Native code to build a game editor? 
  • Did it work for you? 
  • What kind of issues did you experience or had to work around? 
  • If you could do it again, would you flip sides?

Thanks,

References : 

Edited by Althar, 18 July 2014 - 06:40 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7991

0Likes

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

It depends on what you understand as editor. I'm a big fan of web-based engine tools, my engine includes a basic web-server and I wrote some javascript/html5 tools to tweak the ingame properties (animation speed, color selection, debugging etc.). It works great, but on the other hand it is slow at times.

If you want a fully featured game editor (to design levels etc), then I fear that this approach is quite complex and prone to low performance. It all depends on what your goals are.

#3 Althar   Members   -  Reputation: 397

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your reply. What I meant by editor was, as you rightly point it out, more like a service/window to the game engine. Essentially, the editor should be able to ask the engine to do various things; that being said, I would like to avoid having an editor that dictactes what features the engine should have.

The kind of features I am considering are :

• GameObject/Property tweaking
  • "Hand of god" : i.e. being able to manipulate a debug camera & feed back any selected elements back to the editor
  • Debug Console
  • Asset live-editing/compilation : currently my engine loads resources separately; there is no compilation/packaging step involved yet but being able to notify the Engine of a resource change to trigger asset recompilation would be useful.
  • Plugin system with "slave" scripts : to be sent over to the engine for execution. I am not too sure yet whether this will work well in the long run, but I am hoping this will help with engine/editor decoupling. Writing a new plugin/tool should then just be a matter of writing a "slave" script that uses the engine's scripting API & have the engine download it prior to using the tool (either every time the editor connects to the game, or saved to a cache for later re-use). 

As you can see, I am not planning on having any time-critical behaviour/ data-heavy processing to take place between the editor/engine.

My game will be mostly procedural, so level editing shouldn't be of much concern, as I only expect it to be restricted to a bunch of sliders, rather than a myriad of hand-placed assets. 

Bitsquid, and more specifically Insomniac games with their Luna Server seem to have manage to leverage a complete web-based editor suite. That being said, they seem to have embedded their native code into a browser, rather than built it entirely as HTML5/Javascript. 

When you say slow at times, do you have any particular case-scenarios you would like to share? Is it due to the large amounts of data you have to send/receive in certain cases or just the overall speed of the web backend? 

I am currently veering towards my TCP solution for the time being, since I already have a basic implementation up and running - provided I play my cards well, substituting for a different protocol should be fairly trivial from the game side. 

In the meantime, I am very happy to hear more about your web-based tools and/or if anyone else would like to shine their light on the subject.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS