• Create Account

Requirements to create game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 devteamstudio   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I would like to create game as top eleven which is on iphone/android and my game could by the same as top eleven but in singleplayer version and lot more complex. If there any possibility to create in xcode or i must create own game engine? Should somebody explain how this game works in background i mean top eleven? 

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6325

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

you can make the iOS version using xcode atleast (i don't know how well xcode integrates with the Android SDK though), you might want to use a cross platform framework if you intend to target both iOS and Android (as native apps for the two systems are quite different)

From what i understand of top11 it isn't that much to it, just weigh the player ratings of the teams against eachother and add some randomness (exactly how top11 does it is most likely proprietary, you'll have to make up your own system)
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 devteamstudio   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

But i wanna make it first on iphone/ipad so i wanna build it in xcode and there i have lot more experience. How can i make that randomness? It should be built in xcode ? 

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31984

3Likes

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

First things first - what programming languages do you know, and what IDE's have you used before?

#5 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22792

4Likes

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

To figure out what you need, look at what the project is.

Top Eleven is a type of fantasy sports game. Most of it is graphical forms, grids, and text. It also communicates with a server were a whole lot of processing goes on. You also want to develop such a game on iOS and Android.

You say you want to have that same kind of functionality, plus more.

Top Eleven also started with a 3-person team and their web page describes roughly 2 work-years to complete. In the four years that followed they saw amazing success and a whole lot of money. They say they have over five million daily users on social networks and are frequently a top-25 app for the most of those 4 years on Facebook. They likely have a team of 50+ individuals and a budget of $20M-$50M to work with. You will have a difficult time trying to create a game that does all their stuff and more unless you have a similar multi-million dollar budget and a way to pull in millions of fans. It is possible (but extremely unlikely) that you could compete on either initial quality or depth.

They have five years and probably a quarter billion dollars head start. If you want something that competes against them you will need to come up with a business plan that can overcome that lead.

I'd not try to be better than them, I'd pick something different from them and make your own product.

You asked about Xcode, it is an Apple-only environment as far as I know. You can use the Xcode IDE for your Android code's text editor, but that's about it.

You would probably do best to start off with an existing engine that lets you do 2D work on both devices. There are many good engines like that GameMaker:Studio is highly regarded, as is GameSalad. Google will find you many more. Some are free, some are paid.

If you want to develop for iOS you will need a Mac to build the software, you will also need a (paid) Apple developer account. The Android ecosystem has free build tools for many operating systems and is no charge. Since you asked about Xcode first you might already have one or both.

You will need all your data for your client side. That means players and their names and their stats. In turn that means publicity and IP laws, and probably payments for licensing.

You will also need your server side. That means some skill and experience in developing networked programs. It also means paying for a publicly available 24/7 server.

There is an enormous list of ways to implement it. It may be easiest to develop server backends that follow a REST-style implementation in the language of your choice. Options are everything from an Apache mod, PHP pages, Ruby, or even writing your entire servers from scratch. For the client, you'll want something that works with your development experience, whatever that is. The client side will need to handle a huge amount of UI, plus it will need to run the game simulation to figure out the results based on the stats. You will need sufficient programming skills and experience to implement that. You will need experience in whatever languages you are using.

That brings us to another requirement: This will probably take you multiple years of dedicated work.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#6 Crichton333   Members   -  Reputation: 298

1Likes

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

"According to the statistics from Facebook, there are more than 12 million monthly users in 2013"

Mind blown.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: 2048 Numbers Mania -- Android: 2048 Numbers Mania

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS