• Create Account

Passing Objects

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 bhollower   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Right now I have many different objects, many of which rely on several other objects to operate. I have a graphics library wrapper, sprite, button, collision, heads up display and many other classes. I'm thinking about breaking it up even further to specialized classes but I'm thinking to myself, will I have to pass a hundred objects into each class? For instance, a button class requires the graphics library, event manager, sound manager, its x and y position, width height, filepath etc... My constructors are getting longer and longer! Is there a better way to manage my code? Maybe some sort of manager class that holds all of the above that I can pass to each object? Or is that bad practice because I'm giving all of the dependent classes too much access to other parts of the game? What's the right way to do this? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Sponsor:

#2 Ars7c3   Members   -  Reputation: 179

3Likes

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Your code is too coupled, which means that your classes are too dependent on each other. Coupling usually indicates a poor design. I advise you to read this. It is a good articles that explains coupling and how you can reduce it. It will save you a great deal of headaches later on in the development process.

#3 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

-4Likes

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Apparently, I was wrong. I retract my statement. 

Edited by superman3275, 28 July 2014 - 05:21 PM.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#4 bhollower   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the advice!

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20990

3Likes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

For instance, a button class requires the graphics library, event manager, sound manager, its x and y position, width height, filepath etc...

Are you aware of initializer lists? They help clean up your constructors a decent amount.

Also, if you are using C++11 (which you should start using if you're not already), you can initialize class members directly in the class declaration:

class MyClass
{
    int x = 0;
    int y = 0;
    std::string imageFilepath = "../My/Default/Path/To/Image.png";
};

Coupled with function-overloading the constructor, these C++ features should help clean things up. You might also have some higher level architectural problems, but I'm not sure.

You haven't even seen his code. How would you know if it's coupled? This whole post is built on a baseless assumption.

Oh yeah? Well then your code is too coupled also! tongue.png

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#6 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8713

1Likes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

How would you know if it's coupled?

It was described:

For instance, a button class requires the graphics library, event manager, sound manager, its x and y position, width height, filepath etc...

This is a classic highly coupled design.

Some more reading which might help, the SOLID object oriented principles from "objectmentor":

Edited by rip-off, 28 July 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#7 Althar   Members   -  Reputation: 395

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

Some coupling is good - but only where it makes sense to have it : the articles suggested by Rip-off should help differentiate.

You mention having "event manager" - One way to reduce coupling between your button and your sound manager could be to leverage your event system and use it for triggering your sound effect by just sending a "pressed" event along with the sound effect to play : If the button is already hooked up to trigger a particular event in the game, why not have the sound manager (or something along the lines of a UI sound manager ) listen for it as well?

Similarly, you could rework your code such that a button is merely a data structure with position, dimensions, sound effect names, trigger, etc. and have higher level components such as a UIRenderer go through the list/hierarchy of UI elements and render them as required - some benefits of this would be :

• No more coupling between the rendering/visuals & your UI elements
  • Ability to write your UIRenderer and substitute it for a different implementation later on if your requirements change - it would also make it easier to ensure visual consistency throughout your interface.
  • Ability to batch render UI elements & display them in a coherent way : eg. you place a button that is too big to fit inside a frame and have to clamp it. Another example would be managing dynamic layouts without having to manually change the position/scale of your UI elements.

Hope this helps a bit?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS