• Create Account

GTX 750 problem - SOLVED

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 LancerSolurus   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

DirectX 9

I just bought a GTX 750 Ti Friday to replace my aging GTX 250 (5 years old). My game engine worked perfectly on the 250 but with the 750 I am getting complete system lockup when starting the game. The main menu works fine. My question is what changed or is there some driver problems with the newer cards?

Whats been tried...

Complete wipe of NVidia drivers 3 times

Complete wipe of DX SDK (VS 2005 Feb 2010)

Maximum debug mode for DX, when did anisotropic become a bad setting for MAG & MIP Filter? Wasn't for the 250, dropped down to LINEAR

What happens

Main menu, renders perfectly, even with all shaders active

Load screens, load perfectly

New scene, never shows, no hud (font sprite), no rendering (deferred shader, transparency forward shader)

Jump back to main menu, load screens flash red and blue, no load screen

Main menu, whole computer locks up if I don't stop debugging fast enough

Only deferred and sky shader active, all others disabled

750 shows 2 gig dedicated, 2 gig shared, 250 did not share memory (4 gig total) (250 1 gig video memory)

Have to do a hard reset every time since the 3 finger salute will not activate.

From my google searches, it's looking like a repeat of the AMD cards issues with the latest NVidia cards, IE buggy drivers, the main reason I stopped using AMD video cards. Any suggestion to fix this problem would be helpful. I have full access to the source code since I wrote it so I can fix it if it's a setup problem.

******************************************************************************************
Youtube Channel

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30424

2Likes

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

What OS are you using? It should be almost impossible to fully lock up a Windows Vista/7/8 with bad GPU code -- at worst it should just reboot the driver (and your application will get "device lost").

Are you handling lost device events properly? Maybe try removing your lost device handling code, and have it just quit your game instead, to see if that's related to the problem.

Do any other games cause these kinds of errors? If so, it might be damaged hardware sad.png

Maximum debug mode for DX, when did anisotropic become a bad setting for MAG & MIP Filter? Wasn't for the 250, dropped down to LINEAR

It's always been undefined behavior to use anisotropic for Mip filtering. Mag should be ok though.

#3 LancerSolurus   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Win 7 64 bit, the lost device is handled in the main renderer. I set it to a 10 sec shutdown of the entire program and it never makes it to that point. I disabled everything but the sky and def shader, on the 750 it goes nuts but on the 250 it works perfectly. The debugger for DX said anisotropic was invalid for the 750 but on the 250 it didnt show any error using that setting. Thats whats confusing. I set it to LINEAR which cleared that error but its still locking up my entire system.

******************************************************************************************
Youtube Channel

#4 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3129

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

Check out the card is properly seated in the slot. I had a similar problem in the past relating to hi-perf frequency.

Does that also happen with more commercial software? With OpenGL? D3D1x? OpenCL/Cuda?

#5 tonemgub   Members   -  Reputation: 1141

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

Have you tried other games, or graphically-intensive programs? What about older drivers? Nvidia graphics cards/driver have been getting bad for a while now. For me, Google now returns 1,340,000 results for "nvidia gtx freezes".

I currently own a buggy card too, and after I waited two years for them to fix the culprit driver bug (something about power-state switching in Fermi GPUs), they gone and broke it again with newer drivers, after just one month. So now I'm stuck with the single version of drivers that did work. And before they fixed it, I was also stuck with a two-year old version that didn't have the bug. Now I still have an issue that it resets when I put it under heavy load (like just launching Firefox) immediately after waking the system from sleep - it used to crash a lot more before the bug fix. (The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to think this has something to do with NVIDIA joining the plot to kill desktop PCs just to boost their mobiles business smile.png , but it's probably just that NVIDIA doesn't care.)

However, mine didn't lock up the whole system like yours, except a few times but mostly it was just resetting. And I was actually using this as a test-case for device resets. smile.png

At work, I have a 8400 GTS, and it had the same issues - but instead of resetting, it used to blue-screen on me every time I loaded a 2048x2048 image in Firefox (like the "blue marble" image from NASA), but it seems they fixed this problem as well - I can safely use the latest drivers at work. Silly observation: It seems that NVIDIA cards are like wine: the older, the better. If you buy a relatively new one, you have to let it age a few years before you can use it properly. ;)

So, I would first try older drivers, and if that fails, send it in for replacement. The drivers that work for me are 332.21.

Edited by tonemgub, 28 July 2014 - 01:33 AM.

#6 LancerSolurus   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will roll back to the 332.21 drivers first. I did play Crysis for about 3 hours last night without incident but I don't know how heavily it relies on DX 9. I will try out Mars: War Logs later or Spore since both use DX 9. So far my game engine is the only thing that has behaved that way, even my hardpoint editor works, albeit it is simple in comparison to the engine. The PS & VS combined is only about 10 lines of code.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will testing until the problem clears up.

Youtube Channel

#7 LancerSolurus   Members   -  Reputation: 604

4Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Update to the above problem, I managed to track down the problem. Seems the 750 doesn't like the wrapping mode for models. I did a full debug trace on the renderer and it kept hanging at Present. After disabling all shaders except deferred, it stopped crashing, It locked up again after enabling the sky shader. After checking it turned out the starting scene uses a sphere map and the main menu uses a cube map. Since both use the same code with a few if's to select which to use, there was just 4 lines of code difference. Cube - no wrap, sphere wrap U. Disable wrapping and it worked fine. Just thought I would do a follow up for anyone having this problem with DX 9 since I had no luck finding a solution using Google.

Youtube Channel

#8 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30424

4Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

That's really quite bizzare! If you've got time, it would be worthwhile submitting a bug report to nVidia, including the code that makes this happen. Unfortunately it's usually a non-trivial amount of work to put together minimal example code :/

This sounds like a dangerous bug though! Firstly, D3D9 should validate all your commands so that you can't crash the GPU. Secondly, the Windows Kernel should detect a hung GPU, shutdown the driver and then reinitialize everything.
Apparently the GPU get itself in such a bad state that it can't even be soft rebooted - which is pretty bad!
e.g. WebGL on chrome is emulated via D3D9 -- it might be possible to use your bug to make a web page that forces people to reboot! I imagine nVidia would want to know about that.

#9 LancerSolurus   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

That I will do. During the time I was tracking down the problem a new driver was released. Didn't clear up the issue either, Even tested the beta driver between the two which I never do.

It pretty much locks it down to a driver bug since the 250 didn't have this issue. The only changes was new drivers and the 750 being installed.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's input on this, it's much appreciated!

Edited by LancerSolurus, 01 August 2014 - 02:32 PM.

Youtube Channel

#10 LancerSolurus   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

Workaround for driver lockups - requires a 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 resolution

Well I did do a work-around to the total system lockup, thought I would share this as well. Convert the render to windowed mode, I set mine to 3/4 1920 by 1080, gives a little room for the task manager to show. Start task manager before debugging. Edit a single file even if it's adding a space then deleting it, this will give you time for the next step. Start debug (F5 for me in VS), click on task manager in the task bar (the edit gives a few extra seconds). When it screws up, right click your exe and kill it, if you have left click over-ridden as I do, Select 'End Process Tree' and hit Enter then hit Enter on the next dialog window. This will kill your process and keep you from having to reboot your system. For the vets most of you already know this, just posting this for the beginners.

Youtube Channel

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS