• Create Account

C# from beginner forward

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 MAND4   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

Title says it all pretty much.

About three months ago or so I've started making my own game (with some basic prior knowledge in Javascript, but I quickly dropped it and picked C# because it seemed as a better solution to me; also, I had enough experience in Illustrator/Photoshop (roughly 6 years for each) to not stagger when it came to art design) but now I've hit a wall. A wall I like to call "things I get but can't put together" - which is basically a transition from beginner to whatever comes next in C#.

I've read a lot of tutorials and managed to follow most of them, and did try a couple of books (but I get too tired from reading 100 pages only to get to the basic descriptions of Vectors), but the process of creation slowed down tremendeously.

The game isn't all that complicated: infinite runner of sorts with some platforming and combat elements and customazation. Basic stuff you see on Android every day (2D).

TL:DR - I'm looking for a book/a series of tutorials/whatever which will help me move forward from my basic knowledge of C#. Just so you can have a rough idea, here are some things I can create from scratch:

- Basic 4 directional movement / 2 directions + jump / standard controls for 3rd person 3D / FPS (I have basic knowledge of Vectors, transform, axes etc.)

- Basic GUI (I have basic knowledge of GUI Text syntaxes as well as changing its value)

- Colliders (basic knowledge of "On Trigger" collision to activate something)

- Basics of triggering animations

- Scene transitions (erm ... I can type Application.LoadLevel ...  I guess)

Things I can create with some reminders:

- HP/Mana system with over-time-decay (still struggling to figure out on hit decay) (only with GUI Text though, so I'd like a transition to art)

- Double jumping (I understand the concept but always fail to execute it on my own)

- Simulation of movement

- Camera follow

- Infinite looper

As you can see, it's not much, but it was enough to get me started.

So ... any recommendations as to where I should pick up from now on?

Art and animation aren't problems - only programming is. I have no intention of becoming a master in programming, mind you, since my main focus is art/animation (2D primarily), so nothing major needed biggrin.png

Thanks in advance, I hope I was clear enough smile.png

P.S. I apologize for any spelling mistakes.

Oh, I forgot to mention I use Unity as the Game Engine if that matters at all.

Edited by MAND4, 28 July 2014 - 06:38 AM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS