• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Internet Explorer 11 Debacle

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

#1 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi,

After trying everything at the Microsoft website and other sites to fix the problem (short of reinstalling everything by restore to factory fresh condition), I still can not install Internet Explorer 11. I am an IT Consultant, so I know that all the solutions offered were done right by me. Both Windows Update and manually installing from Microsoft download of IE 11 failed repeatedly.  There does not seem to be corrupt files according to BIOS.

Specs

Windows 7 32-bit

Updated, except for IE 11

In the media I have heard about a bunch of problems with this IE, including major security issues which MS claims to have covered. Somebody dropped the ball in the Beta testing of this one, for sure.

Bugger!

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 28 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Sponsor:

#2 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1709

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Are you using a legit version of Windows ?

Now-a-days if the MS web server detects your system is a bootleg, it will not instal any software .

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#3 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4499

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

There does not seem to be corrupt files according to BIOS.

The BIOS is not responsible for detecting corrupt files.

That aside, have you read the following articles yet?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820688
(replace IE10 with IE11 and it follows most of the same prereqs)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/windows_7/update-to-ie-11-get-error-9c47/2245f627-58ed-4a96-8802-7feabae753f3

Edited by Nypyren, 28 July 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#4 Rattrap   Members   -  Reputation: 1733

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

try

sfc /scannow

in an administrative command line.  This will check for and repair corrupted files.  Beyond that.  I'd try downloading and running malwarebytes and see if there is anything malicious going on.

#5 Avalander   Members   -  Reputation: 1048

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

May I ask why do you want to install IE? It's not like something I would want to do to my computer...

#6 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10070

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

May I ask why do you want to install IE?

To which I add, why do you need to? I tried to uninstall IE in Windows 7 and couldn't do it - I came to the conclusion that they were inseparable - so how can you have Windows 7 without IE?
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#7 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3077

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

so how can you have Windows 7 without IE?

Not without IE, but probably just an older version.

@op: I remember having problems like these myself when trying to test websites on IE. I started using a VM instead. It's just not worth the hassle.

#8 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

I have a legitimate installation of Windows 7.  Windows Update will only succeed in installing IE 9 which I have now.  IE 10 and 11 won't install.  BIOS says that everything is okay by memory.  Command Prompt adminstrative scan shows no corrupt files. All data on drives were deleted and Windows reinstalled but the problem continues.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#9 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

I have a legitimate installation of Windows 7.  Windows Update will only succeed in installing IE 9 which I have now.  IE 10 and 11 won't install.  BIOS says that everything is okay by memory.  Command Prompt adminstrative scan shows no corrupt files. All data on drives were deleted and Windows reinstalled but the problem continues.

I've never encountered a situation where a website which worked on IE 9 didn't work on IE 10 and 11. May I ask why you specifically need to test with 10 and 11?

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#10 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22242

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

I've never encountered a situation where a website which worked on IE 9 didn't work on IE 10 and 11. May I ask why you specifically need to test with 10 and 11?

Odd attitude.  I'd reverse it:

From a quality perspective it makes sense to test and verify on as many systems and platforms as possible. That is why tools like Selenium were created that test in bulk. Is there any reason you would want to NOT test on combination someone uses?

Getting back toward the OP, I've never seen or heard of the offline installer failing, nor have the people near me.  It is nice to have freshly installed virtual machines so we end up running assorted installers and updates occasionally. For the offline installer you just run the offline installer and it works. If the offline installer fails for you, I'd look up the error message or look in the system log, and search for any error messages you can plug into google.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#11 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Like frob wrote, I must be sure that everything runs on the IE version that was specifically designed for Win 7 and Win 8 because these will be used for years to come by many people.

If my network is compromised, then I need to fix that.  Once in a while I discover a hacker or network malware - rare but it happens.  In the course of a year I visit many websites, so the possibility of attack is very real.

This summer, Microsoft announced that IE 11 had some serious vulnerabilities to attack and that they were working as fast as they could to improve security. After the last update of IE 11, I cleaned by computer and did factory fresh install - only to be disappointed that IE 11 no longer installs. Literally every other Microsoft update and other application or software does install.

Is some dark group in China making a Cyber attack again?   dry.png

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 29 July 2014 - 05:03 PM.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#12 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8141

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

To be honest, you don't sound much like an IT consultant if you think the BIOS is anything to do with identifying corrupt files.  Me, I do this stuff for a living so the fact that I can buy food is the authority behind what I say. ;)

Anyway, I've done something like - oooh - 10,000 or more IE installs, including manual, via Windows Update and automated via a variety of tools (GPO, SCCM, once even piggy-backed on an Office 2003 Customization Wizard setup) and they've all worked.

Reasons to install IE11 include testing Enterprise Mode in a corporate desktop environment.  That's very valid - it's easy for the hobbyist or professional coder to forget that their own personal preferences don't even apply in many environments.

For a standalone machine I'd advise Windows Update as the first line of attack, and clearing the Windows Update Cache as the first thing to do if that goes wrong.  I'm not certain from your original post if you've done this or not, but it's normally a good way of fixing things up if updates (and IE is really not much more than just another update these days) fail.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#13 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, I didn't clear the cache because I really didn't think that it could prevent an update, since I thought (could be wrong) that Windows Update handles that.

Actually, checking for errors can indicate that something is wrong in hardware someplace, so BIOS does have a role.  Corrupt files in BIOS could hide a problem, but everything seems okay.

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 29 July 2014 - 06:04 PM.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#14 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

By the way, it is very annoying to have webpages look distorted and sometimes not be able to find or use buttons on a webpage because IE 9 is outdated.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#15 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4499

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

As far as detecting bad RAM, the BIOS will almost never do this properly. The BIOS can detect easy-to-spot problems things like "this RAM just doesn't work at all" but won't detect small-scale (yet highly problematic) errors. You should use a tool such as Memtest86 (or Memtest86+ - take your pick) if you start suspecting your RAM might be bad.

#16 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20348

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

By the way, it is very annoying to have webpages look distorted and sometimes not be able to find or use buttons on a webpage because IE 9 is outdated.

Is your current browser outdated? Solution: Install Google Chrome. mellow.png

If my network is compromised, then I need to fix that.  Once in a while I discover a hacker or network malware - rare but it happens.  In the course of a year I visit many websites, so the possibility of attack is very real.

Is your current browser making your computer vulnerable to viruses? Solution: Install Google Chrome. smile.png

This summer, Microsoft announced that IE 11 had some serious vulnerabilities to attack and that they were working as fast as they could to improve security.

Is your current browser buggy and unneccesarily slow? Solution: Install Google Chrome. biggrin.png

To which I add, why do you need to? I tried to uninstall IE in Windows 7 and couldn't do it - I came to the conclusion that they were inseparable - so how can you have Windows 7 without IE?

Well played! laugh.png

I'm assuming that's a reference back to the Microsoft antitrust lawsuits, where they claimed IE6 was an 'inseparable' part of Win95.

But, just incase you were being serious, Microsoft has intentionally integrated and interwoven the core components of Internet Explorer with Microsoft Windows, starting back with Win98. If you wish to merely make the icons disappear and uninstall the browser as an application, you can go to:
Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> "Turn Windows Features On or Off" (linky on the left panel)  -> uncheck "Internet Explorer 11" (third checkbox down)

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 29 July 2014 - 07:58 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#17 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Is your current browser outdated? Solution: Install Google Chrome. mellow.png

If my network is compromised, then I need to fix that.  Once in a while I discover a hacker or network malware - rare but it happens.  In the course of a year I visit many websites, so the possibility of attack is very real.

Is your current browser making your computer vulnerable to viruses? Solution: Install Google Chrome. smile.png

This summer, Microsoft announced that IE 11 had some serious vulnerabilities to attack and that they were working as fast as they could to improve security.

Is your current browser buggy and unneccesarily slow? Solution: Install Google Chrome. biggrin.png

Well played! laugh.png

I'm assuming that's a reference back to the Microsoft antitrust lawsuits, where they claimed IE6 was an 'inseparable' part of Win95.

But, just incase you were being serious, Microsoft has intentionally integrated and interwoven the core components of Internet Explorer with Microsoft Windows, starting back with Win98. If you wish to merely make the icons disappear and uninstall the browser as an application, you can go to:
Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> "Turn Windows Features On or Off" (linky on the left panel)  -> uncheck "Internet Explorer 11" (third checkbox down)

I thought he was a web developer who wanted to check compatibility.

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

#18 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3653

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

So, since nobody asked the obvious. How does the install fail? Error code?

All the others mocking IE, shut yer yapper. It's a decent enough browser and at least doesn't install 20 update services, works fine without millions of addons and doesn't phone home to NSA.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#19 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8141

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

Solution: Install Google Chrome. mellow.png

Have a locked-down corporate network with hundreds or thousands of users where you need to maintain consistency across application versions and browser versions, need to run legacy apps, and need central administration of browser settings?

Solution: don't install Google Chrome.

Seriously people, the single-machine "developers plaything" environment where you've free reign over everything and can fix stuff yourself if it goes wrong just doesn't exist for most end-users in the real world.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#20 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

So, since nobody asked the obvious. How does the install fail? Error code?

All the others mocking IE, shut yer yapper. It's a decent enough browser and at least doesn't install 20 update services, works fine without millions of addons and doesn't phone home to NSA.

Seriously? It's well known Microsoft works very closely with the NSA.

People don't like IE because it's less secure than other browsers, it's slower, and it's less compatible with new HTML5 / CSS3 features.

Edited by superman3275, 30 July 2014 - 08:40 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS