• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

New to the Field, looking for Advice.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 cavendert   Members   -  Reputation: 170

-1Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hey everyone, 

I'm new to programming, and looking to dabble in game programming/design. I have 2 questions, 1 is pretty specific, the other, not so much. 

1) What is the preferred coding language for gaming? 

2) As somebody who is brand new, where is a good place to start? I figure that I shouldn't just start attempting to build a game engine (or should i?). But, I'm just uncertain where to start out as a new guy with little, to no experience (just a willingness to learn). 

Sponsor:

#2 Randy Gaul   Members   -  Reputation: 1351

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

1) A lot of professionals have to use C++. Hobbyists are free to use whatever they like and the answer will vary wildly depending on who you ask. Usually a hobbyist will just pick a language and use it. What language you use to make something, as a hobby, will probably not matter as long as you're good at using it.

2) Just start learning a language and make something really small. I think I started with a turn based, text in the console dungeon crawler in Python :) You can also read a lot of books and ask questions on forums.

#3 DiegoSLTS   Members   -  Reputation: 2101

1Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Start by looking at the pinned thread in the For Begginers subforum or the : http://www.gamedev.net/topic/651842-please-read-the-faqs-before-you-post-for-the-first-time/

Also, those are really common questions, search the For Begginers subforum and you'll find more answers that could help you.

#4 cavendert   Members   -  Reputation: 170

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Ok cool. I'm working on a turned based game in C++ right now, so I guess that I got lucky when I chose a language! I will definitely check the For Beginners, and I'm sure you will see me in the forums again! Thanks! 

Side note, Randy, what do you like about Python?

#5 Randy Gaul   Members   -  Reputation: 1351

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

I don't really like anything about Python anymore :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS