Any interest in reverse engineering .unitypackage files?

Started by
5 comments, last by jefferytitan 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm currently doing a little home project that involves reverse engineering the .unitypackage file format. I have a lot of free Asset Store assets downloaded, and find the built-in categorisation system useless for finding what I need. Therefore I'm making a .NET tool that runs through my asset store folder and stores package names, paths, filenames and preview images in a SQL database so I can do full-strength searching. This would allow me to (for example) find all *.anim files, or all model formats that contain "car" in the path.

It likely wouldn't cover all facets of the file format, just the ones I need for my project. Anybody interested in an article when I've finished my little project?

JT

Advertisement

The format isn't much of a mystery.

To make them, they mangle the names and put them in a single directory, creating a mapping file. Then they run them through a classic compression (tar+gz).

To decompress it, dump the files then rename them based on the mapping file. Or use an existing script like this simple .py file.

As for the rest of the catalog, yes, that does sound like a potentially useful thing.

Well I wish I'd asked here rather than on the unity forums before I started. wink.png In any case I figured it out, the main speedbump was working with the .tar.gz format in memory. If I distribute source, the Tar library that I used is under a BSD license. I guess just include the compiled form of it and the obligatory license file?

By the way, why was this post moved? Given that it's a suggestion for writing an article, Article Writing seemed the right location to me. wink.png

Not much article potential, what can you say about these Unity archives beyond the information in Frob's answer?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

If I distribute source, the Tar library that I used is under a BSD license. I guess just include the compiled form of it and the obligatory license file?

What's the problem with distributing the source? As long as you don't remove the license from the code you should be good to go.

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Okay, looks like not much interest, I'll work on it as a personal project and see where it goes from there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement