Beginner C++ Programmer--Where to?

Started by
5 comments, last by BHXSpecter 9 years, 8 months ago

Hello

I am a new C++ programmer with a basic comprehension of simple C++. If anyone could provide any C++ guides/tutorials for a beginning game programmer, I would be very thankful. I already have a partner who can animate, and we have a game idea. Where should I start looking for a C++ FPS tutorial for beginners?

Advertisement

A new C++ programmer with a basic comprehension of simple C++ doesn't sound ready for an FPS tutorial!

I could be wrong, but if you are a beginner like me, I recommend making text based RPG's - as complicated as you can. With many things moving and going on in the background each time the player moves.

Sure such games aren't fancy, but they let you focus purely on the language and not graphics. Once you have more than a basic understanding of C++, maybe then just go to graphics where you'll be purely learning that, and not trying to pick up advanced C++ on the way?

I could be wrong, but that's my advice, I'm trying to learn C++ too

Disclaimer: I am still at the stage of learning to properly design/code games. Feel free to take this post with a grain of salt if you'd like.

For starters, I believe before making games you should have a stronger understanding of the language you are working with.

For example, a firm grasp of pointers, classes, Virtual inheritance( and when / where it should be used) and so on. Without having a firm grasp of the language you are working with it will be hard to make even a simple game.

After that, I honestly believe you should start out small games while building your understanding of design techniques for coding.

A lot of concepts all come into making games, which it would be mind-blowing trying to learn all at once at the level of a 3D FPS.

As I said earlier, that I am still in the process of learning how to do it properly, so I suppose I will explain the route I am taking?

When I started heading for game Development, the first game I created was a simple visual Tic-Tac-Toe. It is pretty basic, and the amount of graphics related things that need to be drawn is minimal. It allows you to test your waters in basic AI, Graphics, and Input handling(Keyboard).

After that, I headed for pong which I had trouble getting the collision handling & response to be as I wanted it to be.

Anyways.. Start small, If you are unable to make simple games Like Tic-Tac-Toe / Pong / a Mario replica.. How do you imagine to be able to handle figuring out how to structure your code and make an FPS game?

You can find out more at http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

Very new as well:

I too, have a basic understanding of c++, and I still have issues when things get more complicated (lists, connecting to lists and such).

I learned all of my C++ over at codeacademy.com

Very new as well:

I too, have a basic understanding of c++, and I still have issues when things get more complicated (lists, connecting to lists and such).

There isn't a course of c++ on codeacademy.com?

Yeah, and you can practice most new advanced concepts you learn in C++ in a text based RPG.

you can build a map, have NPC's populate it and then move around based on whatever criteria, have many functions called doing all sorts of interesting stuff each time a player moves north, south or whatever and based on any actions the player performed too. Lots of fun, interesting stuff you can dive right into, with no graphic training required.

Very new as well:

As pointed out, codeacademy.com does not have a C++ course. They have HTML & CSS, Ruby, Python, PHP, Javascript, and jQuery (I finished their tutorials 10 months ago according to their site). Then you go to projects to use what you learned and to learn other APIs for Twitter and such.

Hello

I am a new C++ programmer with a basic comprehension of simple C++. If anyone could provide any C++ guides/tutorials for a beginning game programmer, I would be very thankful. I already have a partner who can animate, and we have a game idea. Where should I start looking for a C++ FPS tutorial for beginners?

As pointed out, knowing basics doesn't make you ready for an FPS. You need to start small and work your way to an FPS. I recommend reading this article:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

It covers the games you should start with to become experienced before jumping in head first like you are wanting to do. We are not saying you can't start with FPS, but you should start simple before tackling too much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement