• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

C# for Noobs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 cavendert   Members   -  Reputation: 170

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hey, 

Are there any sites similar to codeacademy, that teach C#? The only site I could find was programmr, but that doesn't really instruct, it just drops you right in. 

Sponsor:

#2 orizvi   Members   -  Reputation: 276

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Take a look at MSDN, specifically the Channel 9 section.

#3 Zarkos   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Direct Link

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners

#4 cavendert   Members   -  Reputation: 170

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Cool. I just got into this this morning. So far, very helpful. Thanks for the tip! Question. How often is C++ used, and is it on its way out, as far as game programming?

#5 Takemura   Members   -  Reputation: 168

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Cool. I just got into this this morning. So far, very helpful. Thanks for the tip! Question. How often is C++ used, and is it on its way out, as far as game programming?

If the application you are making is memory intensive (thousands of assets / large world / etc) or (CPU intensive) C++ is useful. The reason being is it provides the programmers more control over memory and hardware.

The reason C++ is not a programming language recommended to beginners is due to that very fact. With more control/power, comes more 'responsibility' and more things you can mess up on..

Anyways, moral of the story: Larger games generally use C++ as it is necessary to do everything in their power to lower the memory usage and to get the game to run as fast as possible.

As for the question: Is C++ going anywhere?

Choosing a programming language is all about 'finding the right tool for the job'.

As I've said earlier, for larger games( and perhaps even smaller ones) C++ can be a very useful tool.

There are cases when C# is the correct tool, as well. It's especially useful for making Game Editors / Map Editors / etc.

Please note: For the majority of this, I am going off of what I have read in books & on the internet. If anyone sees any mistakes in what I've said, please correct me. I do not wish to mislead anyone.

#6 Lithander   Members   -  Reputation: 245

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

How often is C++ used, and is it on its way out, as far as game programming?

Most games these days are made using a game engine (Examples: Gamemaker, Unity or Unreal Engine) and as a rule of thumb you can expect the game engine to be written in C++ whereas the users use a scripting language that might be everything BUT C++. So I'd suggest to stay clear of C++ as a noob and start with C# which is a very modern, fast (both in terms of compile times and execution) and elegant language. If you work on Windows then the development environment of choice for both C# and C++ is Visual Studio. It's telling that Visual Studio does a lot better at providing code completion and runtime debugging services for C# then for C++. Iterations happen a lot faster too. This makes so much of a difference that coding C# is just a lot more FUN then C++ nowadays.

My 2cents.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS