• Create Account

Rendering OSD text with good quality

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Finalspace   Members   -  Reputation: 260

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

Hi there,

i want to render lots of OSD texts on my current opengl based game, using different font sizes, colors, etc.

In the past i used bitmap fonts for such tasks, but these had the problem to have bad rendering quality when up-scaled.

What techniques are used nowadays? I am searching for a technique (not a library!) which does not have a hard impact on the draw rate.

Thanks in regards,

Final

Sponsor:

#2 haegarr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4311

1Likes

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

As long as "with color" just mean unicolored, try "distance field font" in a search engine.

#3 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4772

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Unless you can't agree with the "reproduce copyright" part of the license, this library is probably what you are looking for.

(Yes, you did say you're not looking for a library. But you are, believe me. You don't want to write this on your own when there's one that already works.)

Edited by samoth, 05 August 2014 - 07:47 AM.

#4 Lithander   Members   -  Reputation: 245

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

As long as "with color" just mean unicolored, try "distance field font" in a search engine.

Actually gradients, outlines, shadows etc can be quite easily added to distance field fonts by writing a custom shader.

Here's a screenshot from the opening credits in our current project. The text rendering is based on a single 1024x512 sized distance map containing about 120 glyphs.

Click for the unscaled image:

bout2 text rendering

Edited by Lithander, 05 August 2014 - 08:30 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS