• Create Account

So there´s cheap 48 hour course nearby for C programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 Norwyn   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:35 AM

So my country authorities hold these learning courses (from knitting to jewelry crafting to programming, all kinds of stuff) for adults of all ages in masses once a year, and there´s cheap 48 hour (2-3 months) course for "C language" among them...

I´m not asking that typical stupid question "is it best language?" I´m just asking is it useful language to know for making 2D games.

I´ve learned Actionscript 3 and done few small games with it, I liked it, but I´d like to learn something more indepth and useful, with which I could make bigger and better 2D games with far fever limitations.

I´m probably never gonna work for AAA or big studios, just solo and maybe with few friends.

So, it´s cheap course with two sections, one for beginners (24h), second more indepth (another 24h). Should I go for it?

Edited by Norwyn, 06 August 2014 - 03:49 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6183

12Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:05 AM

Hard to say. The course can teach you nothing you won't find on the internet, but some people seem to benefit from having a person explain the basics of something to them face to face in order that they can then branch off and research on their own.

I'd be slightly concerned that someone is offering C as a beginner's language in 2014 though. Suspect they are offering what they know rather than what is most appropriate.

Of course you can make 2D games in C, but it wouldn't be the language I would suggest for that given the wealth of easier alternatives that exist. AS3 is a perfectly good example. What exactly are the limitations you are finding with that?

Edited by Aardvajk, 06 August 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#3 Norwyn   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

Hard to say. The course can teach you nothing you won't find on the internet, but some people seem to benefit from having a person explain the basics of something to them face to face in order that they can then branch off and research on their own.

I'd be slightly concerned that someone is offering C as a beginner's language in 2014 though. Suspect they are offering what they know rather than what is most appropriate.

Of course you can make 2D games in C, but it wouldn't be the language I would suggest for that given the wealth of easier alternatives that exist. AS3 is a perfectly good example. What exactly are the limitations you are finding with that?

Well, now I see I worded it wrong, I didn´t mean it as "beginner", more like "basics of C language".

I´ve started to notice that bigger I make the game, more it takes to publish it with all the movieclips and whatnot. I´ve read that binding of Isaac had few similar problems with flash publishing times, flash crashing midway through (I´m using CS5), which is part that the dev has moved away from AS3 for his next project.

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31800

16Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:42 AM

C is like the grandfather of programming languages biggrin.png

That's not a bad thing -- things were harder back in your grandfather's day, but at the same time, they're simpler in their own way. Sometimes it can be useful to learn the simple yet arduous ways first, to gain a solid understanding of the foundations of modern programming.

Most people wouldn't recommend C, because it doesn't hold your hand very much -- the computer does exactly what you tell it to do -- which means you really have to understand the computer and what exactly it is that you are telling it to do.

I made all sorts of horrible dangerous mistakes when learning C at an early age, but in the end, it was probably worth it for the eventual understanding that came from those mistakes happy.png

Also, from C++, to Java, C#, D, even as far as PHP, you can see that these languages are either derived from, or strongly influenced by C. Once you know C, it makes learning many other languages much easier.

Lastly, despite being very old, C is still in active use, and has a lot of fans who prefer it rather than modern languages too!

Edited by Hodgman, 06 August 2014 - 04:46 AM.

#5 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6183

0Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

Well, now I see I worded it wrong, I didn´t mean it as "beginner", more like "basics of C language".

I´ve started to notice that bigger I make the game, more it takes to publish it with all the movieclips and whatnot. I´ve read that binding of Isaac had few similar problems with flash publishing times, flash crashing midway through (I´m using CS5), which is part that the dev has moved away from AS3 for his next project.

That's fair enough. Nothing wrong with learning C, its how I started a lot of years ago and I personally found it really helped me get into C++, although I had to unlearn a lot of stuff too. Some people have found a C heritage to be a hindrance when learning C++ and prefer to start with C++ first.

End of the day, all knowledge is useful and C is a great language if you are interested in the mechanics of how a compiler turns human readable code into machine code as it evolved from a sort of portable assembler (BCPL) and so is very close to "the metal" in as much as anything is in a modern OS environment (i.e. not very).

If its cheap and it gives you access to a person face to face who has some skills, give it a whirl.

#6 Strewya   Members   -  Reputation: 1581

1Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:30 AM

That's fair enough. Nothing wrong with learning C, its how I started a lot of years ago and I personally found it really helped me get into C++, although I had to unlearn a lot of stuff too. Some people have found a C heritage to be a hindrance when learning C++ and prefer to start with C++ first.

Just out of curiosity, what [type of] stuff did you have to unlearn from C when moving to C++?

devstropo.blogspot.com - Random stuff about my gamedev hobby

#7 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6183

0Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

Just out of curiosity, what [type of] stuff did you have to unlearn from C when moving to C++?

Mainly stuff related to type safety, like casting a structure to void pointer to pass it around in a generic way, or using (c-style*)casts on things. I mean the stuff that still works in a C++ environment but isn't desirable. I guess this is the kind of thing some people prefer to have never learned in the first place when tackling C++, not sure.

The obvious things like not declaring variables at the top of functions but at point of first use are probably not worth mentioning. Not relevant in C99 now anyway I think.

I also used a lot more global state in my C days, although that was more to do with where I was at as a programmer rather than the language. Looking back now, I can see ways to write much better code in C than I ever did in my early 20s. I've often thought that the only thing I couldn't recreate with relative ease in a C environment that I rely on a lot in C++ is automatic destructors.

Edited by Aardvajk, 06 August 2014 - 05:42 AM.

#8 RaoulJWZ   Members   -  Reputation: 696

4Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

My advice is simple:

just go for it!

I mean, you will always become smarter of it and if it's cheap, you have nothing to lose.

I think a short course will get you a bit into the whole programming with c and c++ scene to, so you can see for yourself if you like it and go on learning it.

I should not hasitate too much, but just try it!

I hope it'll be helpfull.

good luck.

#9 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1775

0Likes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Learning any new skill is never a bad thing.  If the course is free and you have the time to do it then go for it.

#10 nochoke   Members   -  Reputation: 185

0Likes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

SDL which is a really good multimedia library that can definitely help make games is written in C. So yes you can definitely do games in C.

C is very much alive and kicking on the Linux platform since it is use for a lot of high-level application using the GTK+ UI framework (which also has binding to other languages).

Here's an interesting article about a developer on the Pandora handheld who chose C for his hobby game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS