Does the interface of every graphic adventure game suck?

Started by
14 comments, last by valrus 9 years, 8 months ago
Do any graphics-based adventure games have an interface as rich as the pseudo natural language interface common to Infocom's games from the 1980s?
If not what would such a game be like?
... and for the purposes of keeping this question specific enough to be answerable without answers devolving into lists of games from the last couple of decades that are good, let's define "graphics-based adventure games" conservatively as the sort of direct descendants of the adventure games of the 1980s; i.e., I am not considering Assassin's Creed to be an adventure game or even L.A. Noire. However, if someone really objects to this definition then answer away and explain why I am wrong to frame the question like this.
Voice/speech-to-text would be an obvious thing to do, but part of me feels like it would be a cop out.
What I am looking for is an interface that is purely graphical but still allows puzzles deeper than the essentially verb-noun type puzzles that SCUMM type games allow. Basically, to me the SCUMM/Lucas Arts games like Monkey Island and so forth are kind of the visual equivalent of Scott Adams games or are like visually richer and 3rd person Sierra Online games, sort of 3rd person Wizard and the Princess.
What I want to figure out is what the visual equivalent of Zork II would be like, or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In Zork II, say, you have a puzzle where you slide a place mat under a door, insert a letter opener into a keyhole, pull the place mat back revealing that it now has a key on it, and open the door with the key. I don't see how you could represent a puzzle like that in a Maniac Mansion style game, so I am trying to come up with a 3rd person style graphics adventure game in which you could -- but maybe it isn't possible.
Advertisement

I don't remember any of the infocom games that weren't text only. I always hated text based interfaces.

If you're looking for modern take on the classic sierra and lucas arts age adventure games I recommend taking a look at the the Telltale games.

If you qualify Myst as a graphical adventure game, I feel like Myst's direction has the right idea: First person, mouse-interactions, little or no HUD. Especially as we get closer to widespread VR headset adoption, where minimal or no HUD is important, and first-person is almost a must.

One way to implement it, is click (or right-click) to bring up a context-sensitive-menu (probably radially like the Lost City of Malathedra's) with possible options on it.

To even further immerse the player, I'd probably drop all GUI elements, including the context-menu, and use combinations of keypresses and mouse-clicks to do each interaction type (limiting to only a small selection of possible verbs).

It'll be interesting to see how well The Witness turns out - it's trying to be a modern first-person adventure puzzle game, and one thing they are doing to prevent the undesirable "hunt for pixels" or "guess the solution" puzzles is make every interactive object look identical (therefore using a known and clear game-specific visual language to communicate to the player - players can tell what they can click on just by looking at it) and every puzzle uses the same core interactions and just build up mechanics.

Other ways to combat hunting for interactive elements include things like highlighting or glowing elements (feels to "hand-holdy" though), making the elements more saturated compared to the background, or giving them a cell-shaded like outline, using specific color schemes or color language for interactables (Mirror's Edge took that to a too hand-holdy extreme though), or using (like The Witness) an object-language for intractable (every RPG has 'chests' as a known interactable, even if they toss in other less-clear interactables like furniture or bookcases).

Hmm... I don't think that I've encountered one with that degree of complexity, no.

I think that the closest that I recall was the interface used by Gabriel Knight 3: clicking on an object brought up a small menu of icons representing the available actions for that object, and specific to that object. While some were common--such as "examine"--there were also actions that appeared only a few times. For example, when clicking on a tray of food, one might be given icons for "examine", "eat" and "smell"; a book might have "examine", "take", "read" and "dust for fingerprints" (it was an investigative mystery). The actions available could also be context-sensitive, such as a dumb-waiter door offering "open" when closed and "close" when open. (I think that there were cases in which more options were available, but alas seem to be blanking on an actual example.)

While lacking the explorative element of text-parsers--you don't get to guess what verbs are available--it at least lacks the blindness of such parsers--you don't have to guess which verbs are available--and does at least allow for a variety of context-sensitive actions.

[edit] I've been ninja'd on the "verb-menu" idea, it seems; one thing perhaps worth noting is that I've been involved in an argument over whether radial menus were a good idea for such a menu; I think that in the end I conceded that radial menus probably wouldn't work well outside of first-person cases, in which the object sits at and the menu appears in the centre of the screen.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I think part of the problem, as they say, is that a picture is worth a thousand words. In the old text-only adventure games the descriptions could be very rich but it was also very clear what the nouns were. In an image-based adventure game, literally every distinct thing on the screen is a potential noun, and that obscures which nouns are actually viable or interesting, which kind of gave rise to the sweep technique where you revert to sweeping the entire screen with the cursor when you're stuck on a puzzle. I don't know if its reasonable to implement a natural-language-like interface in an image-based adventure game, but there's certainly room for innovation.

If you want an example games with somewhat different takes on the genre interface, check out the more recent installations of Broken Sword from The Adventure Company, or Shadowgate 64 for a (admittedly, probably poor) example of a fully-3D, first-person adventure game.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Other than the Myst series, Sanitarium is the best graphical adventure game I ever played. The Longest Journey is very good too. But if you're looking for a linguistic interface in modern adventure games you're not going to find one - there was pretty widespread agreement that they were sucky and immersion-breaking. The closest you will find is a dialogue system like that in The Longest Journey or that in the Persona series (not adventure games).

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Some thoughts... (and a description of the Infocom interface for younger readers)

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I think the key thing that you would have to do to make a graphical game like this would be get rid of all the guessing. In a graphical game what can be done needs to be explicit.

When you strip away the hype of natural language processing, the Infocom interface was basically the following:

1. Nouns were marked by the game. (You enter a room once and get the elaborate description, you then start getting the abbreviated description which was a list of the nouns in the room, some of which you could take and some of which were fixed to the room, but all could serve as objects in commands while in the room)
  2. There was a list of common verbs that you knew you could use: get, move, pull, push, insert, give, tie, untie, open, close, cut, destroy, burn and a few more. This list was augmented by a few unknown verbs that were game dependent.
  3. The verbs in 2. could take direct objects as well as indirect objects where applicable. Indirect objects could be entered either as proper indirect objects or via a prepositional phrase e.g. "Give the Chistmas tree monster the coconut" or "Give the coconut to the Christmas tree monster" respectively.
  4. Prepositional phrases worked for modifying some objects if, I think, the object exposed a property for a slot associated with the preposition -- I'm guessing this is how it worked internally anyway; for example in The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy pretty much the whole solution to the Babel Fish puzzle involved prepositional phrases and the object model they induced "Hang dressing gown on hook (so the "hook" has an "on" slot). Cover grating with towel (the grating also has an "on" slot which <cover> <with> knows to map to). Place satchel near door. Place junk mail on satchel.
  5. There were places in which you could issue commands in the same form to other agents e.g. "Robot, give the coconut to the Christmas tree monster"

On 1. and 2, I would definitely consider any guessing of words required to be a negative thing. It was mitigated by the fact that after you played a few of these games you pretty much knew which verbs you could expect and relying on the need for a magical verb to solve a puzzle was considered bad form (although it happened. the life raft in Zork I was like this: you had to guess that a pile of plastic was "inflate"-able)

so 1. you could do in graphics in some way. 2. you could also do by way of limiting the list to very few and having some kind of uniform mechanism for engaging one of them -- something that isn't a menu though, I find the menus I've seen ugly, but also more that just an "action" button. Don't know exactly how I will do it but this seems solvable.

It's 3. and 4. where there really seems to be room for innovation. I think that there would need to be a visual language for the slots bound to objects that I am assuming exist invisibly to the user in infocom games. In infocom games you had to guess what you could do to and with an object. In the interface I am envisioning I think you would need to make what you can do to an object explicite via some mechanism.

(and 5. couldn't be done without text ... although in a 3rd person game essentially your avatar is just a special object you are interacting with that follows the commands you are entering in some way so in theory you could have more than one)

I might be missing something here, but SCUMM had commands with multiple object "slots" as well -- give always had two slots, use usually had two slots but it depended on what was chosen as the first object, and I think possibly some others could (like "push" maybe) when context demanded it. You would know because a preposition would appear after the first object was chosen, indicating you had to choose another object in order to complete the command.

These were used for the same things as the Infocom multi-object and prepositional commands. "Hang the dressing gown on the hook" and "cover the grate with the towel" aren't functionally different than "use the dressing gown on the hook" and "use the towel on the grating". "Use" is less specific, but there are few puzzles where there would be genuinely different and non-erroneous ways to use X on Y where the verbal distinction would be important. (For example, "use towel on grating" might also be interpretable as "clean the grating with the towel", but if one of those is a correct action and the other is a red herring, the game isn't improved by being able to make this distinction.)

This system could be straightforwardly extended to the vocatives (your #5); you would have just needed to have a "tell" command: choose "tell", choose the object (the addressee), "to" appears, choose another verb, choose the objects associated with that verb. (Not that I can think of anything particularly interesting to do with this that couldn't be done by switching to that character, as ActiveUnique suggested.)

What I want to figure out is what the visual equivalent of Zork II would be like, or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In Zork II, say, you have a puzzle where you slide a place mat under a door, insert a letter opener into a keyhole, pull the place mat back revealing that it now has a key on it, and open the door with the key. I don't see how you could represent a puzzle like that in a Maniac Mansion style game, so I am trying to come up with a 3rd person style graphics adventure game in which you could -- but maybe it isn't possible.

In SCUMM, this would just have been "Use place mat on door, use letter opener on keyhole, pull place mat, pick up key, use key with door". Again, there's a loss of specificity -- you can no longer specify *exactly* what's done with the place mat -- but again that's not much of a loss.

might be missing something here, but SCUMM had commands with multiple object "slots" as well -- give always had two slots,

I'm talking slots bound to objects not slots in commands.

Generally I think that it is a mistake to try to re-ify a text command with a GUI. This is what SCUMM did and it is not what I am after. It is what sunandshadow says is "immersion-breaking and sucky" above. And anyway If you wanted to do this the best idea would be a speech-to-text interface which given the small vocabularies of these games could be perfect without training with today's technology. Failing that you could just have some kind of menu system that is basically an onscreen keyboard optimized for this kind of game. But this isn't what I want.

I want a pure GUI that is as rich as the infocom text UI. Ultimately what I think is interesting about infocom games was the object model rather than the pseudo-NLP. The object model allowed semi-emergent behavior: you want to put the letter opener on top of the clock? okay, it is on top of the clock -- because the clock knows it can have stuff on it. You want to put the elephant on the clock? No, the clock says it can't have something that big on it.

This object model, or soemthing like it, would need to be translated into some kind of visual language...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement