• Create Account

Harposcript

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 setra   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hello all! I would like to announce the alpha of my programming language. The majority of features are implemented with some polishing needed. This language is intended to be embedded into a engine, or used by itself. It is targeting areas currently occupied by python, lua, and potentially javascript. It is currently free for individual use, a commercial license will exist at a later time. Current both windows, and Linux versions exist. If you are interested check out the documentation PDF, and the download links. If you have any questions please use the harposcript forum, no account is required to post. Here is the link "www.anilyx.com". If anything else check out the documentation. Thanks! -Harpo

Sponsor:

#2 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4293

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Well... okay. You have a language. But whether or not it can compete to any competent scripting language out there today is debatable.

For those wondering, here's what a script looks like:
x{
    func(x){
            %x;
    }
}

z = x.func(3);
large.hs

x = 0;
while(x < 5){
    printnumber(x);
    x = x + 1;
}
loop.hs

What can it do, other than the basic variable, loop, and function?
Is it interpreted? Or compiled? Or hybrid? JIT?
What kind of error handling does it provide? How strict is the language? What measures does the language take to safeguard the programmer against himself?
The language has scopes, but what about closures?
What about user-defined types?
You have arrays, but how are they implemented? Your documentation seems to suggest integer index based only. What about associative arrays or any other data structure for that matter?
How about strings? UTF-8? UCS-2? ASCII? Implementation defined?
Any type safety? Function overloading? Type deduction?
What sort of operations are valid on POD-types?
Function arguments, are they required?
What kind of memory model does the language use? Manual or garbage collected?
You say that it should integrate into programs, but there isn't any documentation as to how this is done.
If it is free for personal use, where's the source? What does it even look like?
What are you using for your parser and lexer?
How well does it perform?
Is the language thread safe?
c3RhdGljIGNoYXIgeW91cl9tb21bMVVMTCA8PCA2NF07CnNwcmludGYoeW91cl9tb20sICJpcyBmYXQiKTs=

#3 setra   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

The documentation file "learn harposcript in 15 minutes" shows most of the core language functionality. It currently is embedded in a runtime. It will just be like that until I write the doc for embedding. That doc should be out very soon. Currently there is poor error handling. However implementing it is somewhat difficult due to the very dynamic nature of the language. Function parameters are not required. I believe the doc covers that. The language features garbage collection, and current is only ascii. Unicode is coming in the next release. Currently no thread support. It does not have types in the common sense. You can pass around namespaces as structs, or custom datatypes. All of the code is custom including lexar, parser. It is written in c++ with a c interface available. By design it is a embedded interpreter. That demo code was written quickly, just to show features. That is actually bad practice if you were to be doing anything more then a feature demonstration. I will probably change the basic example code soon. More work is needed. But I believe it is far enough along to way to be examined, and toyed around with, or used to write small  programs in,

PARTNERS