• Create Account

Choosing the right tool(s) to develop multiplatform game

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 sasik520   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Hi all!

I have some large experience with programming already, but it is almost 100% pc-related (and 98% windows-related btw). My hobby is writing games which are never completed ;) and learning new things this way.

Now I would like to refresh my c++ skills and write some multiplatform stuff. Recently I was using haxe and it worked pretty nice, I could easily compile to swf, native windows binary and android.

I know there are some nice tools like unity and cocos2d, but is there anything out there that would satisfy such requirements:

- c++

- opengl available - possibility to write that glBegin, glEnd... stuff - I liked it years ago, love to come back

- easy deployment to different platforms - while I want to do some low-level dev, like that opengl, I want to learn as little multiplatform technical details as possible. The best would be choosing between "compile_windows" / "compile_android" etc. scripts or buttons,

- low-level - unified compilation and window/context creation are my real needs, some unified input and sound would be a bonus. No need for things like effects, particles etc. - these are things that I'm excited to learn and write on my own (ofc I know I'll not do anything better than, for example, cocos2d, but my project is more about learning, not about great effects).

I'm completely new to multiplatform development, so any suggestions will be very helpful :)

#2 FGFS   Members   -  Reputation: 333

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

Maybe http://www.ogre3d.org/ or Torque 3D. I've compiled stuff with Eclipse for Win/Mac/Linux and it wasn't that hard. I've also only recently started a new project with Unity3D. Best thing is to think what you want and select the tools for that. I've choosen for ex. Unity as I've liked the water and found it more complicated to do alike with other tools even that I've to boot Windows...

But anyway, me too I'm interested in cross platform tools. Thanks for suggestions.

#3 ito123456789   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

You're describing SDL to me. You should try it.

https://www.libsdl.org/

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS