• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

DirectX 10 - Displaying tile squares as...squares?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 SkyRaign   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi all!

I use lots of square tiles in my project, e.g. 32 x 32 map tiles.  I am having some trouble formatting the application to display them as perfect squares, as intended.  It seems that the pixels are "stretched" to accommodate the size of the application window, so when I see it, it is an elongated rectangle.  My intention at the end is to run this in "fullscreen" mode, so any adjustments I would make would be with that in mind.  Does anyone have tips?  I would appreciate that a lot.

Sponsor:

#2 DvDmanDT   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1194

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

If you draw a square, it'll be drawn as a square..?

Are you using perspective projection?

How are you drawing it?

#3 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4195

2Likes

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

I guess what you mean is that you have to accommodate for the aspect ratio.

Most tutorials online (and helper functions) teach you how to build a perspective matrix and view matrix taking into account the aspect ratio.

Change the parameters to use an AR = 1 (or set the width = height when passing to the projection/view matrix generation function helpers).

Or just compensate the AR (apply 1 / AR to the Y axis in the vertex shader)

#4 SkyRaign   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Matias, that is precisely what I meant......sorry for my lack of lingo.

DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC gSwapChain;
    gSwapChain.BufferDesc.Width=VIEWPORT_WIDTH;
    gSwapChain.BufferDesc.Height=VIEWPORT_HEIGHT*1050/1680

This takes care of the aspect ratio for my specific monitor, applying the 1/AR method you indicated.  I can also apply AR to the X axis for a similar effect; this just "shrinks" the square area.  (Actually, this seems counterintuitive to what I understand about AR......it's width/height, right?).

I will make it a point to look up some tutorials since this doesn't seem like it should be that complicated.  I want to, in theory, be able to run this app on any monitor.  This is strictly 2D with Direct3D10 so that should narrow things down a bit.

#5 Zaoshi Kaba   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4967

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Except 1050/1680 is integer division and results in 0. This code works "like expected" only because it ends up using window's height automagically when it's set to 0.

Most likely you need orthographic matrix.

Edited by Zaoshi Kaba, 09 August 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#6 Mona2000   Members   -  Reputation: 717

1Likes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

Except 1050/1680 is integer division and results in 0. This code works "like expected" only because it ends up using window's height automagically when it's set to 0.

Except

1) there's a multiplication before the division so the code will not result in 0

2) both width and height have to be 0 to use the window dimensions automagically

#7 SeanMiddleditch   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8917

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm not entirely following what the problem is (a picture would help), but you usually need to do more than just set the buffer size on your window/backbuffer. You usually change up how you draw (via your projection matrix) to match the window/backbuffer rather than change the window/backbuffer. That way everything looks right even at full-screen resolutions (independent on the monitor's actual display ratio).

#8 SkyRaign   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

I can't seem to attach pics directly, so I'll do the next best thing:

//This is how the square SHOULD look

XXXX
  XXXX
  XXXX
  XXXX

//This is how it actually comes out:

XXXXXX
  XXXXXX
  XXXXXX
  XXXXXX

In regards to the projection matrix, I will have to do some more research on this one in time, but this is the function I have to initialize it:

D3DXMatrixOrthoOffCenterLH(_matProjection,float(_viewport->TopLeftX),float(_viewport->Width),float(_viewport->TopLeftY),float(_viewport->Height),0.1,10);

Note that this function call is nested in a function call to initialize all of my directX components.  This comes almost straight out of Wendy Jones' book "DirectX 10 for beginners" but it works......now it needs some tweaking.

#9 LordRhys   Members   -  Reputation: 368

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Can you post your Draw function code? I'm willing to bet we will find an issue there that is causing you to draw your image stretched.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS