• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

beginning opengl game programming 2nd edition.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1433

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Has anyone read this book? Im thinking about getting because i want to get started in opengl game programming. It claims to use opengl 3.0. If anyone knows if its a good read let me know your opinion.

Sponsor:

#2 Misantes   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1068

1Likes

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have it and reference it from time to time, but I have not read it front to back, so my opinion is probably not the best, and additionally, I'm new to opengl myself, so can't speak to what's missing from it, or if it's teaching bad practices (my general impression is that it lays out solid practices, and it seems rather complete). If I recall, it doesn't touch upon shaders all that much, which is a pretty huge part of an opengl based game (typically, though not essentially). Though, to be fair, shading languages aren't technically part of OpenGL. But, you'll likely at some point need additional references for shading languages.

My impression of it is that it's closer to a college course on OpenGL than it is a tutorial on how to make an OpenGL based game. Which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

It is rather dense though, and heavily theoretical.  It will teach solid principles, but it doesn't really walk you making a game step-by-step, though there are code examples and they do, in fact, walk you through it :P But, due to my inability to start and finish a book that size and density, I had better luck picking and choosing from multiple resources (books, online tutorials, and frankly, the kind help of people on the forum here) depending on what I needed to learn.

I can generally find any information I need in it. Though, I find it difficult to parse or understand occasionally (which may be due to me reading it piecemeal, rather than start to finish), and I sometimes require a slightly more dumbed-down or step-by-step resource or explanation of things.

I'm glad I have the book, but I also think I'd be either overwhelmed or disappointed if it were my sole resource when learning OpenGL. So, I guess I'm recommending it, unless it's going to be your sole book. In which case, it still might be the book for you, if you're the type that can sit and digest a book this size. I'm the type that needs smaller and a more "here's what you do" approach, and I learn from there by playing with things until I really understand. So, it's not ideal for me, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be great for you. I don't actually have an alternative for you that has everything you'll need, so I'm perhaps not the best help here tongue.png But, I thought I'd give my experience with it smile.png

And, lastly, I think one of the writers is a co-founder of gamedev.net here, so if he's reading this, I loved the book and you're all amazing and beautiful people smile.png

Edited by Misantes, 09 August 2014 - 09:43 PM.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt :P

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS