• Create Account

Form Letters for Work

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dubya   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hi Everybody,

I hope I'm posting on the correct forum here.  I work at a company that uses dozens of form letters for communicating with customers.  It's extremely archaic, and I'm hoping to make some updates to our methods.  Basically, we have letters in Microsoft Word 2010 that use inserted Field codes to prepare these letters.  Every time a user wants to complete a letter, they have to tab through an Add-In box that asks for their name, telephone number, hours at work, Mr/Ms/Mrs., recipient first name, recipient last name, etc.  If you typo in a box, you have to tab through every option, start from the beginning, and find where you made an error.  Also, when adjustments need to be made to letters, we have to manually go through every letter to apply changes.  As you can probably see from my description, I'm not too familiar with this process, but I've made several adjustments that have improved it to a degree.

What I'd like to do is have a regular word document (or excel sheet?) that the user can either mouse click or just tab through, and then the fields would feed into the actual form letter.  Something like this:

User name:

Telephone:

Start Time:

End Time:

Mr/Ms/Mrs:

Recipient First Name:

Recipient Last Name:

So on and so forth.  Of course, I'm open to other suggestions, but if anyone can make suggestions on how I can best set up a system for completing form letters I'd greatly appreciate.  One other issue in mind is that we have some older employees (50's through 70's) that are limited in their ability to utilize a computer and adapt to new methods. 

Thanks in advance!

- W

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19428

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

It sounds like someone has to type all of the recipient's names each time rather than using a database with the mail merge function?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294683

(Posted from mobile. Apologies for the brevity and lack of formatting.)

#3 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1693

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

That sounds like a good workflow for Editorial

Editorial is a sort of "Document Automation" app for iPhone and iPad. Hopefully it will one day come to Mac or perhaps windows too. 

I believe PDF files can contain html text fields. 

You could use markdown to make documents easier. 

As a note, you can use HTML tags in markdown to add text areas

You will need a Markdown Editor

I personally use the free Mou Editor (Mac only), but I am sure there are other perhaps better editors (I haven't one for Windows yet that I prefer.) 

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#4 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1693

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Made this in about 20 minutes

It outputs the info to the document, and from there you can convert it to pdf or docx (using other workflows) or, open it in another app. 

If you have an iPad, and download that app ($7) then I can upload the workflow for you. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Tutorial Doctor, 11 August 2014 - 10:27 AM.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS