New here, have some questions.

Started by
15 comments, last by fireside7 9 years, 8 months ago

My goal is to be able to make a game similar to this:

http://addictinggames.com/shooting-games/storm-ops-3-game.jsp

I have almost no experience coding, however I am familiar with animation, and am a somewhat talented artist.

How long do you think it would take me to learn to make something similar?

How long would you guess it took the developer to make it?

What language do you think he used, and how can you tell?

What language do you think I should use?

Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

1. How long do you think it would take me to learn to make something similar?
2. How long would you guess it took the developer to make it?

1. Maybe four years, maybe less. Maybe more. (Four years is the length of a CS degree.)
2. Three to ten months.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Any advice is appreciated.

Download an engine, learn how to use it, and start making games.

Oversimplified, I know, the point is: Do not spend to much time wondering about what language to pick (or what Engine), pick one you think will fit basing your opinion on ALREADY EXISTING advice on the internet (The search function will help find the certainly existing hundred of threads on similar topics on Gamedev.net), and start creating games.

Just be aware of the important point Tom made above: if you are a total beginner, you will spend years learning the skills needed to really be able to make the game you imagine. And given that most beginners have very large, unreasonable projects in mind usually, you will spend years again when you are finally ready skillwise to create all the needed stuff to make your game.

Of course, you can start making games right now, and be done with your first game in a week or two, if you try to wet your feet on a much smaller project. Then tackle a bigger task.... and so on.

This will keep your motivation up and you will continue to learn more and more of what you need to create your dream game.

How long do you think it would take me to learn to make something similar?

Depends on how dedicated you are and how quick a learner you are.

How long would you guess it took the developer to make it?

I think Toms estimate is probably spot on.

What language do you think he used, and how can you tell?

It is running in a Facebook Canvas frame so something that runs in the browser. Definatly not Unity because I don't have the plugin installed and not Java because my browser settings at work won't allow it. My guess would be either HTML5 canvas (so Javascript) or Flash. If you did around in the page source you'd probably be able to find out.

What language do you think I should use?

If you wan't to write games that run in a web browser then Javascript or some kind of engine that can output Javascript. Monkey, Haxe etc...

Thanks a lot for the info guys, this really helps me get an idea of what I can expect.

If you look on sites like armorgames, or addictinggames, you see games like this being farted out all of the time. If you look up the developers for these games, there is very little about them, and if they have a blog, the about section is very brief and the rest just talks about different aspects of their games. My question is why do so many developers make these games? They're free to play, but are they paid somehow? I can't imagine teams of developers and artists getting together and making so many games just for kicks.

Also, would I be able to write a game as good as Storm Ops 3 with Python? It wouldn't be browser based of course, but that aside.

would I be able to write a game as good as Storm Ops 3 with Python?

Anything is possible (except the 2 things I'm always saying are exceptions).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks a lot for the info guys, this really helps me get an idea of what I can expect.

If you look on sites like armorgames, or addictinggames, you see games like this being farted out all of the time.

A small piece of advice for you...

Until you've done better, perhaps you should dropped the attitude.

After you've done better, I would still generally recommend dropping the attitude too, especially when asking for help, but that's just me.

The game was written in Flash. I would recommend Axel Game library because you would need hardware accelleration. Start with something a little simpler, like just a plain shooter and then start adding.

As far as making money, they do it with ads from a sponsor.

If you look on sites like armorgames, or addictinggames, you see games like this being farted out all of the time.

A small piece of advice for you...

Until you've done better, perhaps you should dropped the attitude.

After you've done better, I would still generally recommend dropping the attitude too, especially when asking for help, but that's just me.

Bit of a miscommunication there, sorry about that. None of what I said in that post was intended to be sarcastic. I really am appreciative. Re-reading it I can see now why you would think otherwise. Again, apologies.

I am not trying to detract from how hard making games like these are. I have a good understanding of that now. I'm just confused as of why so many people go through months of trouble to make them, only to take little credit for it and let everyone play them for free. It's a sincere question.

would I be able to write a game as good as Storm Ops 3 with Python?

Anything is possible (except the 2 things I'm always saying are exceptions).

Thanks again for the response. Although it is possible, would you say it is practical to expect this much from Python? I've been searching through games people have made using Python and from what I can see, they don't compare.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement