• Create Account

Game Development with OpenGL 3.3 on Linux

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 algorithmic_brain   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

I am very new to Linux world like I am new to game development at the same time. I am working on an engine project using SDL2 and OpenGL 3.3. It was working without problem on Windows 8 but after I installed Debian/Linux on the same machine, I couldn't successfully compile it again. It gave a segmentation fault probably related to OpenGL version(click for more information).Both installation of fglx and mesa 10 was painful and brought me nowhere. Neither X recognised the new fglrx drivers I installed, nor I could configured it manually. For Mesa 10, they said it is not impossible but too hard to accomplish the installation of OpenGL 3.3 on a system like Debian. After I messed up all kind of configuration files and was stuck in script terminal again as always, I have had to reinstall debian from USB at least to be able to access GUI again and connect internet on firefox rather than lynx. So do you have any idea regarding what I need to do? Should I, for example, try an easier distro that will be able to do all these automatically if there is such a distro?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4101

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

Weird. I use Debian and I just installed fglx from the package manager, rebooted and it all worked. Its as automatic as you can get. To be honest, I did tried first with AMD's drivers from their website, they didn't supported Debian's kernel version, so I went for the drivers in Debian's repo.

You're not supposed to install Mesa AND fglx, its either the open source drivers or the closed source ones.

Oh, and that advice in Stack Overflow is correct. Debian 'stable' has pretty old drivers, install Debian 'testing' instead (also called Debian 'Jessie').

Only use Debian 'stable' if you need it for some headless server or something that needs utmost stability (and you don't pretend to update anything beyond security fixes).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#3 Fiddler   Members   -  Reputation: 830

0Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

I would advise staying with Mesa, if at all possible, for your sanity. Sometimes it works, but others it can (and will) botch your system - as you found out.

Your best bet is to switch to Debian 'testing', or a different distribution that emphasizes up-to-date software. The driver stack in Debian 'stable' is simply too old for OpenGL 3.3. I am partial to Arch for cutting edge software (GCC 4.9.1, Mesa3d 10.2.5, OpenGL 3.3).

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

PARTNERS