• Create Account

Nuclear Launch Console

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 rioki   Members   -  Reputation: 559

1Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

If you want to space 15 min of your time and find out if you have things it takes to launch a nuke, find out with the Nuclear Launch Console.

2014-08-11 21_13_01-Nuclear Launch Console.png

Seriously, if you can find 15 min of your time, I would like some constructive feedback. It is a small experience I hacked together over the course of two weeks (~20h), but still interesting; I think,

Sponsor:

#2 Navyman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4045

1Likes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Suggestions:

Would like a drill time clock

A drill mode button

A collection of "Tips" when you fail

Also made have a "workday clock" like with Papers Please. (Something for people to see a conclusion to the monitoring)

Question:

In a drill mode you do not have to wait for 100% fueled missile to push the Launch Button.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

34410.png

#3 rioki   Members   -  Reputation: 559

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

Technically speaking once the missiles are unlocked you can hit the launch button at any time. There is no "software limitation" and that is sort of the catch.

The real question is, did you play the game until you got the real launch order? Did you launch the nuke?

This is what bothers me most, I fear that many will give up way before that. There are a total of 5 drills spaced 2 min apart, with the final order 2 min after the last drill. After drill 3 you get the alert message (sort of DefCon 3) and after the 4th drill you get a target update message. But I think that most people will be turned down by the waiting.

BTW, if you want to read the epilogues without waiting 15 min, you can read them at http://nlc.rioki.org/#/launch and http://nlc.rioki.org/#/nolaunch.

Thank you I will think about your input. I was thinking of implementing a "manual" that slides in from the side with more detailed instructions.

#4 Navyman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4045

1Likes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

I made it through the first 3 than 2 drills. There was nothing that hinted on something better.

I think it would be cool or at least easier to keep people playing by adding something in between the massive delays.

Maybe like other launch controllers chatting on the system. and you can select a response like:

"Should you be using this for private message." lol

It needs something in the downtime to make it feel smoother.

Just my 2 cents.

34410.png

#5 powerneg   Members   -  Reputation: 1463

2Likes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

I did not make it after 2 attempts(i hadn't read the instructions the first time).

Yeaj it's a bit boring and i don't see anyone playing this the whole day, but it seems to be doing what it's supposed to do.

#6 rioki   Members   -  Reputation: 559

2Likes

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

You both raise good points. Getting the timing right is sort of the hard. On the one hand the experience of a launch officer is basically just waiting around. On the other hand when you distill that in a game, I understand why people would go "why the hell would I do this?".

I think on putting more events into the game and reducing the interval of the drills. I was also thinking about messages sent by the enemy, that would not authenticate. Basically put more meat into the "story". 

#7 Navyman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4045

0Likes

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

I think you should play "Papers Please" and see the way that they manage the events of the day. I know it is not a perfect match, but think about making the "story" more about the operator. For Example: Install a clock above the console. On the first day have a Training Officer walk you thru the setups. and then "Fast-Forward thru the day to some random point and have a drill, then end the day. Next have the person go home and evolve the story thru the person you are playing. Are they approached by a shady character that offers them money to copy a few paper of the authorized codes list, or maybe to be on a "coffee break" during the next drill.

I like the idea, but you need to step the focus back a step or two. This will allow people to feel invested and want to continue the job.

34410.png

PARTNERS