- Cocos2d-x v3.2 is a mess. It was a major release that added features that I don't care about without fixing what is obviously broken and made the terrible documentation situation even worse because it broke backwards compatibility with all existing tutorials for an increasingly complicated framework that essentially doesn't have English language documentation.
- I don't like the sort of high-level direction that cocos2d-x is going in. They've now released an IDE for putting together script-based games and this is what they seem to care about. To support the IDE they are bringing more and more stuff into the framework proper to facilitate the scripting of these features by making them cocos2d-x objects e.g. physics is now in the framework itself, 3d is now in the framework itself, etc. If you use this stuff you get locked into the development choices of the cocos2d-x developers who make cavalier choices driven by the fact that they are entirely interested in creating a framework that allows developing certain kinds of generic games quickly not with creating an elegant framework for any kind of 2d game.
- Get rid of the current memory management stuff entirely and replace with std::shared_ptr, std:weak_ptr, and std::unique_ptr.
- Get rid of all internal usage and exposed to the framework user usage of nonstandard container types. Replace with std::vector, std::list, et al.
- Support only iOS and Android.
- Write English as a first language documentation for the above.
Edited by jwezorek, 12 August 2014 - 12:06 PM.