• Create Account

Troubleshoot normal mapping in Frank Luna's demo

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 endrollex   Members   -  Reputation: 146

0Likes

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

Hello,

I am trying to export Blender's model data for DirectX.

The demo is from Frank Luna's DX11 book Chapter 23 Meshes.

I just replaced the .m3d file.

But it's normal mapping looks not obvious. Where is the wrong?

Computing tangents is incorrect?

Thanks,

in Crazybump, .obj file is originally export from Blender:

snap1.png

in Luna's demo, the tangents is re-computed for triangle mesh, normal map was created by Crazybump:

snap2.png

Edited by endrollex, 14 August 2014 - 07:12 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6402

1Likes

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Tough love -> right now, your post says "I have several 100 lines of code, as does Luna. His works. Mine doesn't. What's wrong?"

First, I suggest you read this FAQ to get a better idea of how to post questions. In particular, the first bulldot under "Asking Questions" indicates you should have attempted to solve the problem yourself, and you should provide information regarding your efforts - e.g., what you tried, what you found, etc.

It appears you have Luna's working code, and your code from which you want to produce the same results. What results do you get when you compare the results of Luna's calculations to your own results? That is, follow the data. Pick a point in your code where you think you're producing correct data. Compare your data (not code, but actual values) to Luna's data at that step of the process. If your data is good, move along the process to another location. If not, back up a few steps. Compare your data with Luna's. From the pictures, it appears you'll find a point where your data differs from Luna's. There's where you need to fix your code.

Edited by Buckeye, 13 August 2014 - 07:29 AM.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#3 endrollex   Members   -  Reputation: 146

0Likes

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Sorry, I am new here.

Not need to see my code, correct the question:

I wanna know who did similar export working and meet with similar problem.

Performance of Luna's rendering is less information deal with book's few mesh data.

So just look the picture. Is the normal mapping regular?

In fact, I have never write HLSL, if data is OK, is the shader or somewhere need to adjust?

Another possible is my tangents is wrong, not confirm. (vertex, normal, uv, triangle shall be right)

What is minimum requirements (or key points) for a normal mapping gets a good look? (Why 2nd picture looks almost plain vs 1st?)

I have no inspiration now, If I fight it out, will update this post.

Edited by endrollex, 13 August 2014 - 10:59 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS