• Create Account

Creating Enemies

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spawn_Kcb   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

Hello All,

Another design question here. I am creating enemies in my JRPG and have come to another sticking point.

Namely, do you create a single "Enemy" class and then instantiate objects of that type, then load the respective properties from say a flat file or database like "Bestiary";

enum EnemyType{

Orc = 1;
Goblin = 2;
Skeleton = 3;
DireWolf = 4;
Zombie = 5
}

Enemy Orc = new Enemy(EnemyType.Orc);
Enemy Zombie = new Zombie(iEnemyType.Zombie);

etc.

Or do you create a different sub-class for each type of enemy, and then hard code the properties for that class?

Or is it just a case of personal preference? 

I hope that all makes sense and thanks for the help.

Regards

Kevin

#2 ExcessNeo   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 619

2Likes

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

It's all down to personal preference really, a popular pattern is the Entity-Component model which is described fairly well in this article.

#3 BlackCorsair   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:00 AM

I normally write a base class with all common properties there and than a subclass for every enemy which allows me to easily modify their behaviour independently.

www.corsairgames.com

#4 haegarr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7044

0Likes

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

This is a typical problem where composition and data oriented design should be preferred. Reason is that inheritance yields in more maintenance problems due to needlessly deep hierarchies, and design work would be burdening the programmer.

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS