• Create Account

Resources on level editor creation?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

0Likes

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

I'm looking for a few resources on creating level editors, specially helpful libraries or tutorials on the topic. I'm planning to write a small 2D level editor, something similar to Tiled, as a learning exercise for my game. But i also intend to write a level editor for a few 3D experiments, so, it would be nice to see some info. Thanks people! :)

Sponsor:

#2 Lodeman   Members   -  Reputation: 877

1Likes

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

The book "Game Coding Complete: Fourth Edition" has a section that covers setting up a C# level editor for 3D. It shows how to interface with your game engine .dll file (which was made in C++), how you can place objects, etc. I drew from this setup myself and it's worked out well so far!

#3 juglar   Members   -  Reputation: 145

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

take a look to this using MFC and OpenGL

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/apis-and-tools/creating-3d-tools-with-mfc-r1358

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5755

4Likes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

No, just no.

Picking MFC to do anything in this day and age would be the pure definition of insanity.

If you must use C++ for your tooling ( which generally is a bad idea ), then use Qt.

#5 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2179

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Absolutely what Serapth said. Either Qt, if you really want to. C++ is very nice and all that.

Or, as I would personally recommend, C#. It can't get any easier than that. Making an editor is generally not the fun part, so the fact that it's easy to do can be a huge deal.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS