• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

[SOLVED] Area Light, Representative Point, Blinn-Phong

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 n00body   Members   -  Reputation: 275

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Background

Okay, so I have seen Epic's paper that covers, among other things, how they did area lights in UE4 by the "representative point" method:
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/karis/s2013_pbs_epic_notes_v2.pdf

Problem

They specifically talk about how they needed to come up with a modification to the normalization factor for their BRDF to make the intensity looks close to correct. However, the one they list is for GGX, and I am using Normalized Blinn Phong. Sadly, I don't understand the math behind normalization.

Question

Is there a nice simple way for me to find the normalization factor to use Normalized Blinn Phong with this area light trick?

Thanks. 

[Hardware:] Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GT 440, AMD Athlon II X4 620, 6GB RAM

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework | Free RNM Shaders

Sponsor:

#2 n00body   Members   -  Reputation: 275

1Likes

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

Okay, I've sort of solved it myself. Basically, I found a way to apply Beckmann roughness to Blinn Phong. This modifies the normalization term to be the way the Epic described in their paper for GGX, so I suspect the same trick they used should now apply. For anyone who is interested, here is where I found my answer:
http://graphicrants.blogspot.com/2013/08/specular-brdf-reference.html

[Hardware:] Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GT 440, AMD Athlon II X4 620, 6GB RAM

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework | Free RNM Shaders

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS