• Create Account

Where do I begin?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 thedeskgeek   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hello! I guess like many people, this is my first post, so I will try to keep it simple and sweet. 

I am wanting to make some video games. More specifically, games that both kids and adults can enjoy. I want to make games like breakout, or a maze game that you can shoot at monsters, stuff like that. I know that is very vague, but I have a problem explaining my thoughts sometimes. 

As to why I want to make games, well... I had a near death experience last year, and I have been trying to learn graphics programming since. 

I am learning python right now, and ordered some books to help me learn C++ and Direct X, which I know are very hard languages to understand and learn much like OpenGL, but I know as well that the reward is great. I don't want to make full scale 3D games yet, but I do want to do that down the road. I don't want to use a premade cut and paste game development kit like Unity or Game Maker, but if I have to do that to learn first, I am willing to try anything. 

I guess what I want to know is, what is the best method to do what I want to do? Am I doing the right thing so far? Am I going down the right path? Is there anything you could suggest to me to help me learn how to better understand programming and such? 

I don't know how to fully ask my question. I hope you understand what I am trying to explain. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my topic, I hope to hear from you guys soon! 

Sponsor:

#2 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4022

1Likes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

First try this: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

Then if you have any further questions, ask away.

#3 thedeskgeek   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

First try this: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

Then if you have any further questions, ask away.

Thanks! I think I found some of my answers in there. :) If I think of any more questions I will ask away! 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS