• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

3D oriented library releasing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Manzanares   Members   -  Reputation: 158

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

I am the developer of Raiseland(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280019434), developing it required a lot of generic/typical functions. I found some useful libraries. However, for some tasks I didn't find these (too much complex, not C, bloated...). Because of this I created my own library and I'm considering releasing it under a BSD-like license. However I don't know if it would be useful for the community, would it be?

This is the list of features.

• Tested on Windows (Vista, 7, 8) compiled with MSVC2013  and on Linux(Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and ArchLinux) compiled with clang and gcc.
  • Needs OpenGL 4.0 or later, some parts need GLFW3, zlib and freetype2 (these parts can be removed)
  • Source code written in C99.
  • Very simple: ~7000 LOCs
  • Modular
  • Logging
  • Getting time (microsecond resolution)
  • Faster replacement for typical srand/rand functions
  • Import .obj/Wavefront mesh files with smooth or flat normal generation
  • Export .obj/Wavefront mesh files
  • Import and export own compressed mesh format (60% smaller than standar .obj)
  • Bounding box calculation
  • Basic primitive drawing: lines, axis and cylinders
  • Basic GUI: labels, buttons, combo boxes, "number editors", switches (on or off), sliders, typical customizable header menu (File, Edit...), containers...
  • Basic mesh drawing
  • Skydome
  • Stats (elapsed time, triangles per frame, meshes per frame)
  • DDS image loader (loads DXT1, DXT3 and DXT5 files)
  • Cached text rendering system using TrueType fonts (uses freetype2)
  • Basic input system
  • Typical vectorial and matrix math operations including getProjectionMatrix and getViewMatrix
  • Window/context creation using GLFW3
  • Texture manager
  • Library examples

Developer of Raiseland, a real-time procedural terrain generator. Check out our Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280019434

Sponsor:

#2 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10242

0Likes

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Modular

This is key to making this a successful library, to my mind.

I need to be able to cherry-pick the functionality I need for a given project, and leave the rest on the floor. There is nothing worse than taking on a dependent library that starts to invade your entire software stack...

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS