• Create Account

OpenAL EFX support and alternatives

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Max Power   Members   -  Reputation: 204

0Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

I have started on an indy project several years ago, and I went with openAL (mostly because it is absolutely free...). I wrote a simple SoundManager-class and, so far, I didn't really need anything better.

But today I wanted to play around with environmental effects, which I never used before, and it seems that of all the possible effects only reverb is supported. That would be a bit of a deal-breaker I guess.

Maybe I am just doing something wrong? Or if I'm not, what free alternatives are there that people recommend?

Sponsor:

#2 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4993

3Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

If was a long time ago, then maybe you need to switch to OpenALSoft, which took over the development when the OpenAL development stopped.  Looking at the lastest list of features shows a lot more than reverb.

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#3 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4993

3Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/basic-openal-sound-manager-for-your-project-r3791

And I forgot someone just wrote an article about all this...

Indie Game Programming

#4 Max Power   Members   -  Reputation: 204

0Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for replying, I will look into that article, but if I'm not mistaken openAL soft doesn't have any kind of hardware-acceleration, right?...

I also saw that fmod is now free for low budget projects, maybe I will give that a try, although it seems like overkill for the type of low-level api I need.

#5 Max Power   Members   -  Reputation: 204

0Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

Well, I just downloaded openAL soft and used it in my program. I could leave the code exactly the way it was, but still: when I try to create effects, reverb is the only one supported...

Is my onboard sound-chip just too crappy to do this sort of thing? But I guess 90+% of gamers don't have a fancy sound card either...

Unfortunately, the article doesn't say anything about environmental effects.

Edited by Max Power, 29 August 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#6 xenobrain   Members   -  Reputation: 678

2Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

if I'm not mistaken openAL soft doesn't have any kind of hardware-acceleration, right?

Right, but the last sound card with hardware EFX/EAX acceleration was the X-Fi.  On Creative's newer SoundCore3D-based cards (Recon3D, Z) those effects are software-based.

#7 Max Power   Members   -  Reputation: 204

0Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

So I guess what I need then is a strong, free software-based audio library. If I switch to fmod now, will it still be the same single reverb effect that my sound-chip supports, or does fmod have a hardware-independent way of dealing with environmental effects?

#8 Max Power   Members   -  Reputation: 204

1Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Nevermind, I didn't know I had to rename the oal_soft.dll to openAL32. Now effects are enabled and I will stick with it.

#9 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4993

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Does it not have the hardware acceleration, or is working well enough that it doesn't matter?

Indie Game Programming

#10 Max Power   Members   -  Reputation: 204

1Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

I can't really say. But the way I understand it, hardware acceleration for audio-effects is becoming much less important anyway, so I don't really mind. I didn't notice any performance loss and won't worry about it for the time being. Got to continue with my networking code ^^

Edited by Max Power, 30 August 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#11 Max Power   Members   -  Reputation: 204

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Ok, this is weird. I changed all the include and linker paths to use soft openal, I put soft_oal.dll as OpenAL32.dll into the build directories, but when I compile for release, the program crashes trying to create the audio device. Debug works fine...

edit: I don't really get it, but everything is working fine now, after switching back to standard openal dependencies for the compiling, and only using the soft-dll to replace OpenAL32.dll. I can use either DLL with the program and effects are still enabled when using the soft one. I guess that's all I wanted :)

Edited by Max Power, 31 August 2014 - 02:46 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS