• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Starting a game for learning and fun

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joiko   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi there!

I've just registered myself on this website, when i decided i wanted to start making my first steps on game development, after the idea of doing so as hovered over my head for a few years now, my problem is i don't know where to start and what kind of game i should try to do.

I recently graduated from a design and multimedia course, where i learned some programming languages like Python and Processing (a java-like language oriented for visual graphics) i also learned some web languages like HTML5, CSS3, PHP, Javascript etc. As the summer started i got a job as a programmer/consultant for a company that works for banks where i made my first steps on Java. I also have some self taught experience on 3D modelling, texturing and lightning (mainly on 3D Studio), which i got before and during my course.

Having said all this, i would like to have some orientation from more experienced people on game development on where to start and what kind of game i should do. I don't really have any goals to achieve, besides learning and having fun. The only things i would like my first attempt for a game should have is 3D graphics, and maybe some AI since it is a subject i liked learning during my course. I was thinking on using Unity since it supports 3D and it seems to be the engine most people talk about these days.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or feedback to this thread.

Edited by Joiko, 30 August 2014 - 10:18 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5015

2Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Check out the FAQ: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

Also, the beginner's section on my website has a lot of useful information.

http://www.indiegameprogramming.com/Resources.php

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS