• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

What is your development environment?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 Boder   Members   -  Reputation: 918

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

I wanted to take the pulse of the different tools people are using for their projects. I've tried quite a few languages, libraries, and IDEs so I just want to see what is currently working for people (and what isn't).

If you could, post:

1. Your OS

2. Target OS/Device

3. Language and IDE (or name of editor/compiler)

4. Libraries/Packages/Whatev you call 'em

5. Type of project (game/tool/2D/3D/team project/solo/free/pay)

6. Most importantly, what you don't like about the setup and also some of the highlights

Thanks all.

I have Windows 8 now and I'm going to be setting up some development tools. I've used many, many C/C++ IDEs, Java to a lesser extent, I only really checked out what was possible with Python and C#.

Anyone using C# with OpenGL or is that unheard of? How about Java and OpenGL? C# and SDL? Is C# still only for Windows builds?

Edited by Boder, 30 August 2014 - 05:13 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5382

1Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

1. Win7

2. Win7+

3. C++11 and Visual Studio 2012

4. DirectXTK and Lua

5. Rendering Framework

6. Nothing - I am content with the tools that I am using, which is why I chose them :P

I am using Direct3D 11, so my use case may not be what you are looking for.  But anyways, the entire tool chain is free, so it is at least an option for beginners or indies.

#3 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13933

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

1. Mac OS X.
2. Mac OS X initially, but I am keeping an eye on portability.
3. Language: C++. Editor: Emacs. Compiler: LLVM.
4. SFML.
5. 2D platformer developed in my scarce spare time, together with a couple of friends with similarly loose commitment.
6. Nothing - I am content with the tools that I am using, which is why I chose them. tongue.png

#4 Boder   Members   -  Reputation: 918

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Álvaro,

Have you tried using IDEs and found them not to your liking? Or are you just a purist who come hell or high water will still be bumping uglies with the machine/power tools?

#5 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13933

1Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Álvaro,
Have you tried using IDEs and found them not to your liking? Or are you just a purist who come hell or high water will still be bumping uglies with the machine/power tools?

I used Borland IDEs in the 90s and they were OK. The current IDEs seem way too complicated to me and I refuse to learn them because I don't see the point. But the real reason why I use Emacs and a command-line compiler is that it's what we do at work, so I am used to it. For what I've seen, Visual C++ seems very good, but I am not a Windows guy.

#6 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4787

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

1. Linux, specifically Debian 8 (also called Debian Jessie or Testing, depending on who you ask).

2. Also Debian, or simply put, whatever runs on my netbook too.

3. Java, Eclipse 4.4, and JEdit for GLSL (with GLSL syntax highlighting).

4. OpenGL 3.3 + few extensions. LWJGL (Java OpenGL bindings). SnakeYAML. HPPC (primitive collections among other things). Tiny pieces of LibGDX (few math functions that I haven't implemented myself and in the future I will be using its Bullet bindings). Oh, and dustArtemis obviously :P (entity system component framework, look at my sig).

5. Not sure yet. 3D first person game I guess. Solo.

6. Eclipse is a bit slow here and there, and I can't create branches with MercurialEclipse plugin (I do that stuff through bitbucket's site).Off the top of my head, those are all complaints I have. I'm pretty happy with my setup so far.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21159

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

1. Windows 7 32bit
2. Windows (and later Mac and Linux)
3. C++, MinGW, and QtCreator
4. SFML, Qt, Boost. I haven't yet decided whether to go with Lua or AngelScript for scripting.
5. 2D turn-based para-historical fantasy RPG, and the world editor used to make it.
6. QtCreator is very nice and works very well for me, and I like MinGW - it stays up to date with adding most of the latest C++ features. My biggest complaint is compile times (a flaw of C++), and the poor quality debugging tools. As a Windows user running Linux programming tools, I feel like a second-class citizen to both Microsoft and to the Linux crowd. The MinGW's gdb works but imperfectly, and I've never been able to get breaks on thrown exceptions (only 'caught' ones, but breaking on catches does me little good!), no good stacktracing integration into my own code, Valgrind isn't on windows, and so on.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#8 Sponji   Members   -  Reputation: 1358

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

1. Arch Linux
2. Linux, Mac, Windows
3. C++(11), KDevelop
4. SDL2, OpenGL, GLEW, GLM
5. Currently learning some more rendering stuff, so I'd say a rendering framework is what I'm working on right now.
6. KDevelop used to have few silly crashes, but seems like those are fixed in the newest version. I went through all kinds of editors before KDevelop and found that this is the most suitable for me. QtCreator would probably be my second choice.

Derp

#9 Ohforf sake   Members   -  Reputation: 1832

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

It's interesting to see so many non-windows users.

For my private (learning) projects
1. Linux
2. Just for myself, so linux
3. Mostly C++, some GLSL, and Cuda. Compiler is GCC, IDE is codeblocks, version control is GIT (if needed)
4. Depends heavily on the project, but these are the most common: OpenGL, Boost, wxWidgets, TinyXML, ImageMagick, Cuda
5. Various private learning projects; Solo; Usually s.th. with computer graphics or computer vision in it
6. Servant is quite right about the debugging tools. It is probably not so much a problem of GDB, but rather of the frontends for it. IMO, the debugger(frontends) in Visual Studio and xCode are significantly better. Also, the tools for the debugging and profiling of GPU stuff is not even close to what you have on the consoles.

Btw @Servant: For breaking on thrown exceptions you need a "catchpoint", not a "breakpoint". See for example http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/gdb/gdb_31.html

#10 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5481

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

1. Ubuntu
2. Ubuntu (desktop/laptop/tablet/phone/convertibles)
3. vim, g++, python, shell
4. many and various
5. a free OS shell that uses whizzbang eye candy, and supporting applications that run on it
6. "read the code" is not documentation, arrogance is not a design pattern, NIH is not a recipe for success

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#11 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5481

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

gdb works but imperfectly, and I've never been able to get breaks on thrown exceptions

Does "catch throw" not work on MinGW?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#12 Abster   Members   -  Reputation: 153

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

1.  WIndows 7

2.  Windows/Mac/Linux, Sony/Nintendo

3.  C++ / Visual Studio 2013

4.  SDL 2.0/OpenGL

5.  HD 2d platformer/shooter

6.  There's a ton of features I don't quite understand in regards to debugging, meaning I end up always closing my game and recompiling it each time I want to test something.  It's probably due to inexperience more than anything else.

#13 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6355

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

1. Windows 7

2. Windows 7

3. VS2013 Express for Desktop, C++

4. Win8.1 SDK, DirectX SDK (June 2010), DXTK, AntTweakBar, GPUPerfClient/Server for shader debugging if needed, DXTex, DDSView

5. game/2D/3D/solo - DX9, DX11

6. ---

Don't like: VS2013 Express crashes when closed, auto-restarts and has to be closed again. It's free, so..

Like: Intellisense, debugging interface

Edited by Buckeye, 31 August 2014 - 03:19 PM.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#14 ngoaho91   Members   -  Reputation: 253

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

1. Windows 7

2. Windows 7+

3. C++, Visual Studio 2012 express, Notepad++, and hundred of small tools

4. OpenGL, OpenFramework, Qt, and hundred of small libs

5. game/2D/3D/solo/free

6. VS 2012 has high requirement but syntax highlighting is nice. It's user interface save my eyes also.

Qt could be perfect tool if it can import general c++ project from visual studio. Anyway, Qt is nice tool too.

#15 tonemgub   Members   -  Reputation: 1160

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

1. Windows 7

2. Flat Assembler :)

3. DirectX SDK

#16 imoogiBG   Members   -  Reputation: 1247

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:00 AM

1. Windows 7/8

2. Windows 7+. Windows Phone 8.1 + eventually linux?/macos + Iphone/android

3. C++ ICL/CL

4. d3d11, gles/gl4+. And tools Visual Studio/CMake

5. rendering framework

6. I love my tools.

#17 godmodder   Members   -  Reputation: 712

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

1. Windows 8.1

2. Primarily windows machines, but I don't do anything to break Mac/Linux

3. C++ / Visual studio 2013 Ultimate

4. Boost / Qt / OpenGL / GLEW / GLFW / ...

5. Graphics research code for my PhD and 3D engines as a hobby

6. Visual Studio can be slow sometimes, but it's a price I gladly pay for its convenience.

#18 lwm   Members   -  Reputation: 1476

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

Game projects (Hobby):

1. Windows 8

2. Windows Vista+

3. C# (VS2013)

4. SharpDX, various others for specific things

5. 3D multiplayer shooter and a thousand others over the last couple of years.

Work:

1. Linux / Windows 7

2. Linux / Windows 7

3. C++11 (Eclipse), C# (VS2013)

5. A tiny piece of the software right above the hardware drivers for a very big, very expensive piece of medical technology.

I really like C++, especially C++11. But for hobby projects, that don't require that last percent of performance (or hard real-time), programming C# in Visual Studio is so much quicker and less painful.

current project: Roa

#19 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21159

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

gdb works but imperfectly, and I've never been able to get breaks on thrown exceptions

Does "catch throw" not work on MinGW?

It supposedly does, but not on whatever builds I've been unfortunate enough to use. Maybe it's just the Qt's GUI interface to GBD that's buggy though, I'm not sure.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS