• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Anyone Actually Releasing Games Using Assets From Marketplace Models?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pangeran   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hello, as a lone-dev man, I'm going to pursue making an RPG games based only on Assets Store 3D models, using Unity3D.

For 3D model like houses, props and environment, I think it will be a great advantage.
Why?
Because if you're happen to hire a 3D artist, it will cost 10x the price at the assets store.
But of course, uniqueness is an issue.
But again, houses, props and environment doesn't differs much in any games you play, hence for me this is not an issue at all. In fact, it's great because we can replicate the quality standard exists in most games nowadays.

Just look at this, isn't great already?

BUT, it's quite different case for characters 3D model.
Imagine you're looking at Ezio from the Assasins Creed in some unrelated games titled, The Land of Paradise (some adult games).
Or Captain Shepherd from Mass Effects in a almost identical games called Space Colonisation (Very similar but different story and space).
What will you think?

It have been on my mind, but Unity Assets Store games really good, I mean surprisingly good.
Just look at these,

3c94d532-08dd-46f5-8f93-08d563242afe_sca

What do you think?

Anyone actually approach this way before?
This is some kind of motivational effort and to keep my morale as high as possible to finish this project.

Sponsor:

#2 SyncViews   Members   -  Reputation: 581

1Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Lots of games now have character editors that do a pretty good job (The Sims, Saints Row The Third, Eve Online, Dragon Age, to name a few Ive very recently used), so I guess there's at least the information needed to implement, if not tools & libraries to do it. Then all you need from any kind of asset store is a good selection of content to choose from in the way of hair models, cloths and accessories. I wouldn't take any character models entirely, and certainly never for any character that isn't just there in the background to populate an area.

As far as generic content goes. a lot of basic textures and props, vehicles, and possibly buildings (although Id make my own key buildings & vehicles given the textures&props) I think is fine if they fit your art style.

Edited by SyncViews, 31 August 2014 - 05:11 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS