• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

"DirectX Texture Tool : An error occurred trying to open that file" while using Visual Studio 2012 Graphic Debugger

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 wil_   Members   -  Reputation: 434

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

Hi,

I am trying to use Visual Studio 2012 Graphic Debugger to debug a small DirectX sample application I am writing.

In the Graphics Object Table window, everytime I double-click a Texture2D object in an attempt to visualize its content, I get this error message:

"DirectX Texture Tool : An error occurred trying to open that file".

2po38gm.jpg

How do I fix it ?

Alternatively, how can I install PIX ? It seems its developments has been dropped since the Graphics Debugger has been integrated to VS2012, and I cannot find an installer anywhere.

Sponsor:

#2 wil_   Members   -  Reputation: 434

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

Actually I found PIX under my C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Utilities\bin\x64 folder, so that point is clear at least.

#3 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 13361

2Likes

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

PIX comes with the old DirectX SDK, which you seem to already have installed. Just be aware that PIX will not work with up-to-date versions of Windows 7 or any version of Windows 8 without patching the EXE and one of its DLLs.

You may want to consider trying RenderDoc instead, which is a very awesome third-party tool that aims to be a worthy successor to PIX.

#4 wil_   Members   -  Reputation: 434

1Likes

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

PIX comes with the old DirectX SDK, which you seem to already have installed. Just be aware that PIX will not work with up-to-date versions of Windows 7 or any version of Windows 8 without patching the EXE and one of its DLLs.

You may want to consider trying RenderDoc instead, which is a very awesome third-party tool that aims to be a worthy successor to PIX.

Thanks for the note about how to patch PIX to run it on Windows 7.

Here are again the locations of the values to change, if it can be of help to any one:

2nu69sm.jpg

wu2oty.jpg

Also using RenderDoc was a good suggestion. It worked better than using VS2012 Graphics Debugger (at least for my sample).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS