• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Panorama

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mayrel   Members   -  Reputation: 348

Posted 06 November 2001 - 07:17 AM

I''m wondering how/if I can create a projection matrix with a panorama view: i.e. 360 degrees around the y axis - so the middle point is straight ahead, and the left and right-most points are straight behind. As far as I can tell from the MSDN docs, you must project must onto a plane rather than a cylinder, but is there a way around it? If anyone knows if this can be done in Direct3D, that''d be nice to know, as well. All your bases belong to us

Sponsor:

#2 TheMummy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 November 2001 - 10:02 AM

quote:
Original post by Mayrel
All your bases belong to us

???
I thought the famous sentence was: "All your base are belong to us" ...

#3 Mayrel   Members   -  Reputation: 348

Posted 08 November 2001 - 10:29 PM

quote:
Original post by TheMummy
I thought the famous sentence was: "All your base are belong to us" ...

It''s a joke.

All your bases belong to us

#4 benedictw   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 November 2001 - 10:52 PM

Yes. You can only project onto a plane. Best you could do is to render 4 times to a texture and then render THAT texture to the screen.

Dont be afraid of Render to Texture! Its friendlier than you think!

If this doesnt help then you''ll have to transform your vertices yourself. The main problem will then be rendering the triangles. With this sort of projection the triangles will want/need to be curved but you''ll be rendering straight edged triangles which could get ugly.

It might be worth looking at the sourcecode to panquake. This implements 360'' vision for quake1.
http://wouter.fov120.com/gfxengine/panquake/

Benedict

Reality is Insanity

#5 benedictw   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 November 2001 - 11:08 PM

Incidentally (nearly forgot) theres a direct3d sample called "Fisheye" in the DX8 sdk that does a fisheye effect.

Benedict

Reality is Insanity

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS