Some questions I have before starting.

Started by
5 comments, last by Artemix 9 years, 6 months ago

Hi, I'm new here, it seems like a great community.

These past few months I finished the complete image of my game, mental image that is :p.

Now I need to give it a digital body.

I have a background of AS3 programming, lately I got used to write some shaders using AGAL, I've made some games with AS3, quite cool technology.

However, this game I want to do belongs to a different category, I want more stuff in screen, more effects, particles, shaders, etc, so I want to use C++, to even later port it to consoles, maybe.

This is not a commercial project, this is just a hobby's game, when it's finished I plan to upload it somewhere so people can play it for free.

Like I said, the game is complete, in my mind, now I need to make it happen, so, first what I think you would need to advice me better is to describe the game the best I can, well that's simple, the game is just a shoot em up scrolling top view, like 1942, but it's not 2D, I want to make at least some of the entities of the game to be 3D models, like the ships, enemies, and so on. Things like bullets, lasers and other stuff I think should be 2D.

My objective is not to make a 3D engine, nor other things that are already made by a lot more talented/experienced people than I am, so, the more libraries and other stuff that already exists for this game, the better.

My questions are:

1- 3D engine for this game, considering that it's not 2D, but also it doesn't need a FPS kind of 3D neither, what is there that could be useful?

2- Sounds/music libraries, what's out there?

3- Particles, FX libraries?

4- Game engine itself, main loop, etc, should I make it or there are premade options for this?.

Thanks and sorry if I'm not providing enough details. Just ask me.

Regards.-

Advertisement
Best way if you want to focus on the game instead of the technical aspect, just use a prebuilt game engine:

- Unity3D (Good for starters)
- Unreal Engine 4 (More for advanced users - has insane material/shader system - much better visuals)

Both have particle systems included.

Aren't UE4 and Unity3D very costly to use?.

I'm not studying right now so I can't access to an academic license, and it seems like even if I was, there has to be some kind of academic contact inside the college.

Aren't UE4 and Unity3D very costly to use?.

I'm not studying right now so I can't access to an academic license, and it seems like even if I was, there has to be some kind of academic contact inside the college.

Unity is free - most features works. You can even make commercial games with the free unity version! unity3d.com

UE4 has monthly costs of 19 bucks and a 5% fee for every copy you sold.

Of course you always have the option to create everything yourself and there are good libraries out there to help you:

- GLM (Do not write math yourself, use a proven and stable math library)
- libSDL 2.0 (Window, input handling and more)
- Glew (OpenGL bindings)

If you need a physics engine, you can use Box2D, PhysX, Bullet, etc.
But for a top-down scroller i dont think you need a physics engine, just simple 2D aabb overlap tests should work.

I dont recommend using a existing particle system, cause writing it is really easy. There are good tutorials out there which gets you started.

And another tip, do not start with everything in one step - make small steps. No need to write a particle system when the basic game are not done - for example.

I see, I could start paying the monthly fee if it's what I'd need.

Is it UE4 a full blown game engine?, I mean, can I make a game from scratch using it or do I need something else?.

Also, does it require a guru level skills of C++?.

UE4 has monthly costs of 19 bucks and a 5% fee for every copy you sold.

You only have to pay the fee once, if you kill the subscription you keep the version of the engine you have. You only have to pay for another month if you want the updates. (You're still on the hook for the royalties, whether you pay the fee more then once or not)

See their FAQ.

I see, I could start paying the monthly fee if it's what I'd need.

Is it UE4 a full blown game engine?, I mean, can I make a game from scratch using it or do I need something else?.

Also, does it require a guru level skills of C++?.

UE4 comes with things like physics, input, rendering, audio, cutscene creator/playback, etc. So, yes, I suppose you could say it's a "full blown" game engine. But you get all the C++ source so you can add/change whatever you like.

C++ skills aren't required. You can do a lot with just the editor and blueprints (their visual scripting language) and there are artists and designers out there who have made cool things with UE3 and 4 without needing a coder at all.

Thanks for the info!, I will start learning UE4.

But first, after watching the system requirements, I'll need to upgrade my PC :p.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement