Creating destructible environment in Unity 2D?

Started by
0 comments, last by Nanako Cook 9 years, 6 months ago

Hey guys, I have been thinking in a game kind of like Worms Armageddon, and been wanting to create it in Unity, but I can't wrap my head around how would I achieve this. Like being able to modify the colliders at runtime (ie, when a portion of the environment is destroyed then a character would be able to walk in it), also the visual part itself. Any ideas/tutorials/links on how can I achieve this? Thanks!

Advertisement

Just some conceptual ideas that may help.

I believe a lot of Worms was based on 2D images, with transparent areas for the parts where you could walk, and colour representing solid ground

Imagine worms as mspaint. The level is a work of art, drawn in it. And destroying the landscape is akin to selecting the eraser and deleting parts of that image.

There are lots of libraries and such for comparing images for overlapping pixels, the exact technical details of that are above me. But i know that the worms games are REALLY finicky about it, and they'll detect a rapidly moving object colliding with a single pixel, probably indicating that it uses interpolated collision calculatons.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement