Game industry advice

Started by
3 comments, last by Rubisk 9 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone,

My name is Rubisk. For the last couple of years, I've been using Minecraft as an "engine" to create custom content. I've gone pretty far with it, and, on the way, made some very beginner steps into game design, picked up some basic python and java scripting. It's not really a proper engine for "games" but the maps I made in their were really the thing that got me thinking about game design in the first place (combined with Extra Credits). I've really enjoyed trying to implement basic game design principles in minecraft content. However, over the last few months, I've found myself very limited by the game, coming up with principles that just can't fit in the game as engine.

I'm currently in my final year on high school, and will probably study maths after, just because maths have always been something I find to be really interesting. I find programming interesting, as well as physics, although I can't really say I'm proficient with any programming language. At the moment, I am trying to find out if game design would be something I would enjoy doing. I don't feel like attending a game school, I don't want to find out after 6 months that I'm not the person to create games.

I have never been a real artist, I suck at drawing, photoshop, stuff like that. I've never written good stories or poems, they're just not my thing. I do find psychology interesting though, and I find it very interesting to try and find out why people think the way they do, and what they're perspective is.

Would game design be something for me, or should I stick to my fun and small minecraft projects? If I study maths, would it still be a possible option?

I'd also like too know some recommendations on what to take as my next step. Should I try make small games in an engine like Unity3D, and see how they work out (to acquire some basic programming, graphic design, level design, stuff like that), or should I try starting from scratch, writing my own engine first?

Please give me some advice <3

(Forgive me the little grammar mistakes every now and then, I'm still learning english)

Regards,
Rubisk
Advertisement
Math is a really good degree for game related jobs (usually for programmers rather than designers though).

You could take programming courses as electives, or even minor in computer science if you find it interesting.

To be honest. I'd personally be very interested in interviewing a math major for jobs if they had a games focused portfolio. Have you considered trying to mess around with a game engine such as unity to implement some of your ideas that minecraft is too restrictive for? This might also give you a better idea as to whether working on games is a good fit for you.
I must not have read you full post when I asked if you considered using unity.

Yes!!! Give it a shot. It might not be the best for working on level design as you would need to build a game first!!!

If you're interested in jumping right into level design there are lots of games that provide level editor tools (Halo's forge, Warcraft 3, Valve's hammer editor for half-life 2, many more).

1. I'm currently in my final year on high school, and will probably study maths after, just because maths have always been something I find to be really interesting. I find programming interesting, as well as physics, although I can't really say I'm proficient with any programming language. At the moment, I am trying to find out if game design would be something I would enjoy doing.

2. I don't feel like attending a game school

3. I don't want to find out after 6 months that I'm not the person to create games.

4. I have never been a real artist, I suck at drawing, photoshop, stuff like that. I've never written good stories or poems, they're just not my thing. I do find psychology interesting though, and I find it very interesting to try and find out why people think the way they do, and what they're perspective is.

5. Would game design be something for me, or should I stick to my fun and small minecraft projects?

6. If I study maths, would it still be a possible option?

7. I'd also like too know some recommendations on what to take as my next step. Should I try make small games in an engine like Unity3D, and see how they work out (to acquire some basic programming, graphic design, level design, stuff like that), or should I try starting from scratch, writing my own engine first?

1. Where did game design come from? Game design is not about math, programming, and physics. Those suggest programming more than design.

2. Why are you saying this? Where did this "game school" question come from? If you don't feel like going to game school, don't. Choose whatever school and major you want.

3. You can't worry about trying paths about which you might change your mind later. That happens to everyone. It's part of life. Go where your passions lead you, and if they change, that's okay.

4. Why are you saying all this?

5. Most people who want to pursue game design are intensely passionate about pursuing it - they don't need to ask strangers if they should pursue it. And you said you're getting tired of the limitations of the Minecraft engine/editor. So my suggestion is "neither. Try something else."

6. Anything is possible. Your question is unclear.

7. What do you WANT to do? That's the most important question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. I'm currently in my final year on high school, and will probably study maths after, just because maths have always been something I find to be really interesting. I find programming interesting, as well as physics, although I can't really say I'm proficient with any programming language. At the moment, I am trying to find out if game design would be something I would enjoy doing.

2. I don't feel like attending a game school

3. I don't want to find out after 6 months that I'm not the person to create games.

4. I have never been a real artist, I suck at drawing, photoshop, stuff like that. I've never written good stories or poems, they're just not my thing. I do find psychology interesting though, and I find it very interesting to try and find out why people think the way they do, and what they're perspective is.

5. Would game design be something for me, or should I stick to my fun and small minecraft projects?

6. If I study maths, would it still be a possible option?

7. I'd also like too know some recommendations on what to take as my next step. Should I try make small games in an engine like Unity3D, and see how they work out (to acquire some basic programming, graphic design, level design, stuff like that), or should I try starting from scratch, writing my own engine first?

1. Where did game design come from? Game design is not about math, programming, and physics. Those suggest programming more than design.

2. Why are you saying this? Where did this "game school" question come from? If you don't feel like going to game school, don't. Choose whatever school and major you want.

3. You can't worry about trying paths about which you might change your mind later. That happens to everyone. It's part of life. Go where your passions lead you, and if they change, that's okay.

4. Why are you saying all this?

5. Most people who want to pursue game design are intensely passionate about pursuing it - they don't need to ask strangers if they should pursue it. And you said you're getting tired of the limitations of the Minecraft engine/editor. So my suggestion is "neither. Try something else."

6. Anything is possible. Your question is unclear.

7. What do you WANT to do? That's the most important question.

1)The idea of designing levels, balancing mechanics, stuff like that, seems more appealing to me then actually buildling, say, the engine/physics/controls/logic of a game.

2) Since, whenever I talked about this to someone, the first thing they said was "attend a game school", and I just don't want to do that.

3)Ok, thanks for the advice!

4) because I'm wondering if that should tell me I'm more of a programmer then designer guy or not.

5) So the fact that this hasn't been my life passion since forever (probably because I've always had the idea that game design is a few nerds writing code forever, very boring), makes me not the guy to make games? Be honest please, I don't care if that's true!

6) Possibe = useful. I guess so then.

7) I have no idea ;-), that's why I came here in the first place.

I'll try out Unity3D then. Seems like I need to learn C# first though, so starting with that? My minecraft experience has always been about level design, but I'd love to try building a game from the mechanics itself.

Thanks for the advice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement