Showcase your game at PAX, any feedback?

Started by
1 comment, last by solowebnv 9 years, 6 months ago

Hello,

in the last 3-4 months we are developing ("we" as a team) a new indie game that might be finished (hopefully) around spring 2015.

We are seriously interested to showcase the game (aero's quest) at the Pax South in San Antonio next January. I've already contacted the Pennyarcade organization and we are about to send back the contract for a small booth.

My question is: is there any of you who had the chance to present your game to such a big expo and in case of positive answer did it bring the exposure/ROI you were hoping?

Are there any good alternatives?

My concern is due to the fact that the investment is quite big for us, not really for the price of the booth itself but because our company is based outside the US.

Thanks in advance for any reply

ivano

Hi I'm Ivano and I'm the lead programmer of Soloweb N.V. Studios

We just released a multiplayer pong reboot called iPong: The Game

We are working hard to present to the next PAX South our next title Aero's Quest

I personally host the community GameMaker Blog net

My twitter account, the Soloweb N.V. Twitter account, Aero's Quest on Twitter

Advertisement

I've not presented myself, but I've spent some time in the area where smaller companies get situated (cheaper booths, which I'm assuming is the route you took) where a former co-worker had a booth. This is at the PAX Prime event in Seattle, the floorplan is surely different in San Antonio, but here you have the AAAs on the main floors along with the select Pax10 and indie alley (you might have gotten one of these booths, but I think there's a selection process, its not just pay-to-play), the cheaper pay-to-play booths are usually in more out-of-the-way locations, often near retail booths and tabletop/boardgaming booths.

The former co-worker is satisfied enough to have been back a second and third time, but it seems to me that its the kind of thing where you get back what you make of it.

If that's the situation you end up in, it generally means a couple things -- firstly, foot traffic may be lower, or people are just passing through or standing around to buy something at a retail booth. Secondly it means that your area may be quieter.

In general, if the above holds true, your engagements are probably going to be fewer but longer and more intimate. It also means the way you attract people is going to be different than if you were on a busier part of the floor, and that you'll probably need to actively invite people to come check you out. Make your space inviting and let them get out of the flow of traffic (I've seen a lot of booths that have tables pushed nearly all the way to the front of the space, so almost no one has any room to stand). Also be aware that people are going to see a lot of big games that weekend, so be sure to have them something to give them to remember you by -- at least a business card, but maybe something like a sticker, a post-card, or mini-poster (and heck, sign it with a personal thank-you for stopping by to play your game) -- and make sure it has your website and social media info on it so they can find you again. Also make sure you can take down their email address so they can opt-in to your mailing list. Make sure you always have at least 2 people manning your booth.

Other than that, be flexible and respond to what's going on around you. You never know what kind of dynamic is going to exist until you're there. Adapt and engage.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Hi Ravyne, nice to meet you

What you just told me is more or less what other people told me so far, which is good for my point of view: both the ways (lot of people or less but more intimate) can be useful if managed in the right way. In one case you get the chance to shoot your name to big volumes, in the other way you might hook better eventual buyers.

I think we will try at least this time (the Pax South has been choosen more for the date of the event than any other reason) and then we'll see.

thanks for your answer

Hi I'm Ivano and I'm the lead programmer of Soloweb N.V. Studios

We just released a multiplayer pong reboot called iPong: The Game

We are working hard to present to the next PAX South our next title Aero's Quest

I personally host the community GameMaker Blog net

My twitter account, the Soloweb N.V. Twitter account, Aero's Quest on Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement