cmake linking errors

Started by
1 comment, last by TheComet 9 years, 6 months ago

I created a project demonstrating the problem I'm having: https://github.com/TheComet93/cmake-sucks

I have a library which links against python and boost_python. The library compiles fine, but if I try to link against my library from an executable, I get these linking errors:

$ make
[ 50%] Built target library
Linking CXX executable app
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyBytes_Size'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromString'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromFormat'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyBytes_AsString'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_InternFromString'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromEncodedObject'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsWideChar'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyModule_Create2'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromStringAndSize'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsUTF8String'
../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsUTF8'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
app/CMakeFiles/app.dir/build.make:91: recipe for target 'app/app' failed
make[2]: *** [app/app] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:160: recipe for target 'app/CMakeFiles/app.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [app/CMakeFiles/app.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:75: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Enabling verbose output reveals the core of the issue:

/usr/bin/c++       CMakeFiles/app.dir/main.cpp.o  -o app  -L/home/thecomet/documents/programming/c++/cmake-sucks/cmake-dep/lib -rdynamic ../library/liblibrary.a -lpython2.7 ../../cmake-dep/lib/libboost_python.so -Wl,-rpath,/home/thecomet/documents/programming/c++/cmake-sucks/cmake-dep/lib

liblibrary.a is being linked before python2.7 and boost_python, which shouldn't be the case.

I'm stuck at how I'm supposed to fix this.

If you look at the CMakeLists.txt files, you'll see I'm basically just doing:

add_library(library ${files})
target_link_library(library python boost_python)

and:

add_executable(app ${files})
target_link_library(app library)

This is already enough to generate these linker errors.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement

It's hilarious, I tried to compile and I got:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/x82.74-linux-gnu/libboost_python.so', needed by `app/app'.  Stop.

CMake actually thought the "6_6" part in "x86_64" was some kind of version number and replaced it by 2.7. Epic fail. Anyway, have you tried linking boost_python before python? It is my understanding that the normal linker order is left-to-right, i.e. dependencies come last, unless you are using a nonstandard linker like on Windows or some special option such as the "scan twice" option of GNU ld to resolve circular dependencies.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

CMake actually thought the "6_6" part in "x86_64" was some kind of version number and replaced it by 2.7. Epic fail.

Might that have something to do with the way I'm forcing boost to use python 2.7?

# hack to force boost to use python2.7
        string (REGEX REPLACE "[0-9].[0-9]" "2.7" Boost_PYTHON_LIBRARY ${Boost_PYTHON_LIBRARY})
(See here for related thread)

Anyway, have you tried linking boost_python before python? It is my understanding that the normal linker order is left-to-right, i.e. dependencies come last, unless you are using a nonstandard linker like on Windows or some special option such as the "scan twice" option of GNU ld to resolve circular dependencies.

It's very strange because the project I linked in the OP compiles fine on my desktop computer. My laptop can't compile it for some reason. wtf. Re-arranging the linking order doesn't do anything, which makes sense because linking order is only relevant when linking against static libraries.

Both are Gentoo, both are amd64... The only difference is that on my laptop boost_python isn't installed so CMake will download that dependency.
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement