• Create Account

Mac or PC - Really, this is a programming question.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 epreisz   Members   -  Reputation: 163

0Likes

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

Now...before I get accused of posting in the wrong spot, I really do believe this is the right spot for me to ask this question. I'm hopeful that the moderator agrees. This question is for programmers only please.

As a game programmer, what hardware and platform are you developing on. For all of my career, this was an easy question to answer. But I've been seeing technical people around me shifting and I'm very curious about the trend for game programmers. Obviously this is highly dependent on what you are working on, which part of why I think this is an interesting question.

So if you don't mind, please respond with:

Hardware: PC or MAC

Development Environment: Visual Studio, XCode, or Proprietary Editor (Unity, UE4, etc.)

or

Are you Dual Boot/VM?

Thank you!

Sponsor:

#2 lask1   Members   -  Reputation: 747

2Likes

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

I develop on Mac and Windows. I have my desktop running Windows with Netbeans and my Mac running OSX with xCode. I am developing multi-platform technologies so I believe that it makes sense to jump around as much as I do. I am dual boot on my Windows machine with Linux(Ubuntu).

I guess I mainly develop on my Mac but meh, it really doesn't matter. I mean in the end I am writing the same code.

#3 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7213

1Likes

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hardware: both.

Desktop environment: Win/VS, Mac/XCode or Xamarin, Linux/CodeBlocks

I use VMs regularly, dual boot Linux in a few specific cases (off USB 3 portable drives) but not as a general use thing.

Our core tech runs across all of these platforms, although iOS is the only public platform release right now.

Edited by Promit, 27 October 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#4 Misantes   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 919

1Likes

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

linux/codeblocks or VM windows/codeblocks here.

I'm too poor to actually own a mac :P Though, one of these days I'll get around to using mac in a VM and play around with developing there. It just hasn't been a priority as I'm fairly overwhelmed with so many other programming related things that I probably should have learned ages ago. It's a bottomless pit, it tell ya :P.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt :P

#5 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11438

3Likes

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

At home I use use Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2013, and at work I use Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2012 (although I do a lot of coding in Sublime). The current-gen consoles both use Windows + Visual Studio as the development environment, so if you're going to work on them then you at least need access to a PC that runs Windows.

#6 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10060

1Likes

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Mac pretty much exclusively at home and work. Windows when I can't avoid it (drivers for esoteric hardware, for the most part), and Linux for a handful of pieces of software at work which haven't yet been ported to Mac.

My development environment tends to center around Sublime Text and the command line, with occasional XCode/IntelliJ/Visual Studio as expedient.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#7 bioglaze   Members   -  Reputation: 563

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:37 AM

Mostly Mac/Xcode, but also Xamarin, Xubuntu, Emacs, Windows 8 and VS2013. Most of my projects work on all big operating systems.

#8 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1676

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:56 AM

Mac with Xcode and WebStorm at work and at home.  I have a Windows terminal server but the only time I use it is to log into the ancient IE only payrol system that my company uses. 

#9 stupid_programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 1130

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

At work it is mostly Mac with Netbeans for general Java, Eclipse for Android specific stuff/Xcode for iOS specific, FlashBuilder for Flash.  People that work on the older Flash web games are generally just on Windows with Netbeans/FlashDevelop.  Newer games are moving towards Unity which is still done with a Mac for me and then I have Parallels installed to use Visual Studio.  Couple people use Windows for Unity but they just do gameplay/UI integration.

At home it is a Windows machine and generally Unity to prototype random ideas since I generally have little time for anything serious.  But do have an old copy of VS 2008 kicking around if I want to brush up on C++ or do some real programming.  I also have a Mac mini from my mobile contracting days that is straight up XCode.

#10 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2850

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

At work:

Mostly Macbook + XCode, Eclipse if I have to (android/GAE) and the occasional Windows/Linux in a VM

Also a pinch of cmake, make and ant (much prefer to build android from command line, much less error prone)

motivation: sweet hardware and even though I often do multi platform stuff, heavy focus on iOS and OSX. 

At home:

Windows Desktop + Various linux devices + arduino + Old Macbook as lab laptop

Mostly using cmake, make and arduino IDE, but I mostly do embedded programming at home atm.

motivation: Windows Desktop is to play games more then dev... Old macbook is very nice as a lab platform because it is a posix system and plays a lot nicer with linux and other *nix:es

#11 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1352

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

PC/Win and Visual Studio used here for most of the creative & intelligent work of programming.

Mac or Linux used mostly only when troubleshooting a specific issue for those platforms, most of the time the cycle is just CMake, make, run.

I do use dualbooting (Win/Linux and also OSX/Win on one laptop through Bootcamp) and also Linux VM's, though VM's are less usable in graphics programming due to the low performance.

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

#12 epreisz   Members   -  Reputation: 163

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

This is great insight. Thank you all for answering, very helpful to me. Keep 'em coming.

#13 axefrog   Members   -  Reputation: 397

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

Windows 8.1, VS2013 Professional, Sublime Text covers most of my needs. I plan to also get a Mac in the next few months, though mainly so I can build and test on that platform. Same with Linux.

I'm blogging about my journey to learn 3D graphics and game programming: http://nathanridley.com

#14 RobMaddison   Members   -  Reputation: 708

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

I had the exact same dilemma earlier this week. I have both but I only do a bit of Xcode dev on my MacBook and use it mostly for iTunes, photos and for Internet. My windows laptop is a bit of a beast which I use for directx dev at home and I don't ever let it see the Internet.

Unfortunately on Saturday a cocktail had a fight with my MacBook and won so I've just had to replace it but I went for broke and got one with a 2Gb nvidia GeForce 750m so I'll be able to dual boot it and work on either on the go.

I feel a bit like I walked into the apple store and walked out financially raped!

#15 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4415

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hardware: PC or MAC

Linux, Debian distro.

For IDE I use different Eclipse installs in its various incarnations (Database Tools + Deli plugins when I have to do that kind of database/XML/ORM stuff, JDT-only for my personal projects, Efxclipse for JFX projects, PyDev for Python, etc).

I also use JEdit, which is a text editor along the lines of Notepad++ or Atom, with GLSL highlighting when I have to edit shaders.

I'm not that big into which editor/IDE provides which keyboard shortcut to make XYZ task faster, so I don't customize any of them much beyond setting the dark theme, some editor colors and an allman-style formatter.

Edited by TheChubu, 27 October 2014 - 05:07 PM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#16 DvDmanDT   Members   -  Reputation: 897

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

Windows 7/8 with VS+Resharper+VAX, with the occasional Linux VM for testing and doing Linux-only stuff. I don't think Macs even exist in the embedded industry.

#17 hotfudgegringo   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 AM

Mac and Eclipse CDT (C/C++) as the main environment.
Since i develop cross platform I use VMs ( Windows 7 & Linux Ubuntu ), and CodeBlocks on these.

I personaly would never get back to Windows as for a main environment, since i rely on the bash and scripts for many tasks.

#18 LxPrl   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted Yesterday, 08:25 AM

Hardware : PC

Development Environment: Unity3D (through Wine), eclipse

Graphism software: Inkscape, Gimp

Did I help you ? You can help me too by downloading and rating my new unity game for android : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lxprl.bumpyball
It's free and can help me a lot. But if you don't want to, no problem. A "thank you" is enough. :)

#19 JeffCarp   Members   -  Reputation: 331

0Likes

Posted Today, 04:04 PM

Hardware: PC & Mac (hybrid!); cross-platform & spare CPU cycles is 
important to me.

Development Environment: Sublime Text 2, term (BASH, Ruby env), git & 
SourceTreeApp, travis-ci.org, vim, XCode, GIMP, TexturePacker, mpd for musical enjoyment

Second computer for running WindowsOS & Linux-powered VMs
running under OSX host.

PARTNERS