Terminology: 'Skew', 'Rotate', 'Scale', but what is '______' called?

Started by
6 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 9 years, 5 months ago

In art programs, you can 'manipulate' selections of images in various ways.

Some examples of manipulation operations are 'Skewing', 'Shearing', 'Scaling', and (possibly) 'Rotating'.

Operations.png

I understand there might not be a "standardized" term, but I was wondering if there is a commonly-used term for highlighted manipulation/operation?

What's happening in the image is the user grabbing a single corner of the image and 'stretching' (!) that one corner independently of the other three corners.

Advertisement

I don't know what the common usage might be, but having just checked, it sees that GIMP includes that functionality as part of the "perspective" tool.

There's also a still-more-complex tool in GIMP called the "cage transform", which, based on a quick look (I honestly don't often use this type of tool ^^; ) seems to allow deformation based on manipulation of an arbitrary, user-defined polygon.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

For Photoshop, that would probably be included under perspective warp, though distort is also a related term.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

That unknown transformation seems to be a step up from the perspective transformation because you can move any control point freely but you can also reproduce the perspective transformation with it if you wanted to, by making the control points symmetrical.

So if I had to name that last transformation, I would use something like "free perspective" or "asymmetrical perspective."

Paint Shop Pro just calls it "Free" in a drop-down menu {Scale, Shear, Perspective, Free}. I think I'll just call it 'Stretch' unless someone has a better name.

If I was to rename 'perspective', I'd probably call it 'Tilt' - might be too late for that. smile.png

I like names to all be verbs that have past tense versions as well: Scale -> Scaled, Shear -> Sheared, Tilt - > Tilted, Stretch -> Stretched.

Making an image editor?

If it's only about moving a single vertex, I'd simply call it a "freeform" manipulation. That is, if the fact that the texture in your screenshot is also stretched is merely a byproduct of the vertex being pulled out.

If it is really about dragging a vertex belonging to some kind of control cage and modifying the "inside object", that would be a "lattice deformation" or a "lattice modifier", like this:

by069fb1.jpg

For Photoshop, that would probably be included under perspective warp, though distort is also a related term.

warp

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/transforming-objects.html (2:35 of the video)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/warp-images-shapes-paths.html

If it's only about moving a single vertex, I'd simply call it a "freeform" manipulation. That is, if the fact that the texture in your screenshot is also stretched is merely a byproduct of the vertex being pulled out.

Good point, because my textures frequently contain transparency, so may not actually appear square, even though there are four control points.

Making an image editor?

My map editor lets the user manipulate freely-placed decals.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement