Should I keep a dev/programming journal?

Started by
5 comments, last by Jason Z 9 years, 4 months ago

Hello!

I'm relatively new to gamedev.net, and I've noticed the "Journal" tab on the profile page of this site. Is it beneficial, or otherwise recommended, to keep a development journal, and, if so, what should I put in this journal?(e.g. lessons learned, activities performed, code written, progress made.) Also, do you prefer to keep a pencil-and-paper journal, or a typed one? I am very new to game developing/programming, so this is a new concept to me.

(Also, I didn't really know whether to put this in the general Game Development forum, or the Game Programming sub-forum, so apologies if this is not where the post should be smile.png)

Cheers,

boxnuggets

Advertisement

Hello!
I'm relatively new to gamedev.net, and I've noticed the "Journal" tab on the profile page of this site. Is it beneficial, or otherwise recommended, to keep a development journal, and, if so, what should I put in this journal?(e.g. lessons learned, activities performed, code written, progress made.) Also, do you prefer to keep a pencil-and-paper journal, or a typed one? I am very new to game developing/programming, so this is a new concept to me.

(Also, I didn't really know whether to put this in the general Game Development forum, or the Game Programming sub-forum, so apologies if this is not where the post should be smile.png)

Cheers,
boxnuggets

It's not some magical game development specialty or anything, the journal feature is just a gamedev thing to let people ramble about their ideas, implementations they've tried, game progress, so on.

Should you have some kind of journal/blog for your work? That is totally up to you. Some people do it as a way to keep themselves motivated, even if nobody is necessarily reading it forces them to commit to posting about what they've done periodically, and they get a bit embarassed when they have nothing to write about.

But its not like its required or anything.

Some people find it motivating, and motivation is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. I say give it a try and see if it works for you. Even if you don't have a dedicated following, being public with what you're doing can cause you to worry about your public image.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Absolutely, but do it for your own motivation as, based off my own experience, and the low number of comments on most of the journals around these parts, there's a good possibility you'll likely feel like you're talking to yourself week after week, at first:P I've enjoyed mine, and being public about things helps focus my development a little. Though, I have a hard time staying updated when I've taken a step backward or am unable to report much.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

Yup, I find it helpful for myself, even if I might only get less than a handful views, and maybe a single post. It is sort of like the rubber duck effect, just getting your thoughts down into words, and being able to write about your progress can help.

I like to use a written journal for idea generation and getting down game concepts, but it doesn't do much for me in terms of motivation. Instead of any sort of "journal," I like to prepare a semi-formal list of deadlines that I put in a very obvious location in my workspace, and I'm able to check things off as I go. Just my personal preference!

Check out http://moderntome.com for game development tutorials and resources!

I actually do both - I keep a daily written journal for sketching and working out problems, and then I keep a journal here on Gamedev.net to put more polished ideas and progress updates out there. As the others have mentioned, it is motivating to some degree, and in general I find it beneficial to get other people's inputs on your work.

I have also found that the number of comments varies quite a bit, but if you put in the effort to post good content, people will be viewing it for sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement