Want to become a Computer Scientist

Started by
23 comments, last by Alessio1989 9 years, 4 months ago

Hello guys, this is my first topic on the forum, but I have been on the forum for around a year and registered recently.

First, I would like to say I don't know where is the right place to post it, please feel free to move it, and I'm not from a native english country, sorry for my bad english.

I'm 13 years old, almost 14 and in the future I'm planning to become a computer scientist and mainly a game developer and I want to know what should I study to be a good one, can you guys recommend any book or things that I should study ?

I am programming in C++ around a half-year and currently learning HTML5 and Javascript.

If you have any advices for me, please let me know.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16

Blog: exchargedeeletri.wordpress.com

Advertisement

I'm not in industry or anything, but why did you switch from C++ to Javascript/HTML5? While most programmers learn many languages (they all have their strong points), when beginning, I think it would be more beneficial to acquire a strong foundation in one language before moving on.

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

soundcloud.com/herwrathmustbedragons

If you are comfortable with C++ you should check out SFML and start with their tutorials. You can be up and running a simple 2d game in no time and IMO I came from the same background and would be much faster to get into SFML instead of switching gears into Browser games.

I chuckled at "computer scientist". Good luck getting a PhD to be considered one lol. The proper term your looking for is either software engineer or developer.

HTML5/Javascript is nice to have if you plan on doing web development or making a game run on your website, but if you want to make games that run on PCs, consoles, or mobile platforms (phones/tablets), it won't do you much good. Its more important to get a strong foundation with some core languages first before branching out into web development. In my college program, we started learning C because it is really the "grandfather language" and so much software we use is written with it (libraries, O/S kernels, drivers, and so on). Its much closer to the hardware, so you have to really know what you're doing. C++ is C with lots of new features added on, so you'd be learning the "core" of C++ if you will. I would say stick with C/C++ and learn how to write a few different programs before moving on to games. Things like reading and writing files, doing complicated arithmetic, maybe a simple text word processor, etc.

After you're comfortable, learn at least one scripting language as well. I recommend Python or Ruby, two common languages in use today. (If you use Python, check out PyGame). Many games are written in multiple languages and each language communicates with the other, so you need to understand that. Over time, you'll find yourself learning and using more languages for different projects and jobs. I've used over 20 different languages myself after being out of college for ten years.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

I am programming in C++ around a half-year and currently learning HTML5 and Javascript.
Then keep programming!

Seriously, important bit is stick to something and learn from it. Over time you'll switch to different things, try new things, harder things (which tend to be the ones most interesting!), but you get to those parts if you keep practicing.

So there, keep programming.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I chuckled at "computer scientist". Good luck getting a PhD to be considered one lol.

The term is commonly used for academics (and often even just any qualified professional) with a B.S. in Computer Science OR for those who go on to complete an M.S. or Ph.D, so it's both correct terminology according to common usage and potentially quite an achievable goal.

It may not be a perfectly technically correct term, but if you're being pedantic the title of "software engineer" doesn't make much sense for most people who claim it either -- and some places (such as Texas if I recall correctly) actually enforce that distinction by only allowing the title for those who are also qualified as actual engineers.

:-)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Software Engineer is kind of an odd title. To have the word "engineer" in your job title for virtually any other discpline (mechanical, aeronautical, civil, etc.), you have to be a licensed professional engineer, which is not an easy path to take. For some reason, "software engineer" is not a protected title in the United States, and many people straight out of college are given this title.

I just did some basic searching about this, and it looks like this may change. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_engineering_professionalism, there is a movement to make software engineering a professional field/title similar to other discplines of engineer. It appears that Texas has already implemented this, ironic seeing as its where I live and I've never heard of it. I did already take and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam 10 years ago (the first step to being a licensed engineer).

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

First, I'm agreeing with jbadams as the title of Computer Scientist is extremely achievable. Second, at least in Germany being a computer scientist already has benefits normally only entitled to engineers. Last I checked it was the only non-engineer profession where you could immediately go self-employed without registering a business with the taxation office first.

Thank you guys, I am learning HTML5 and Javascript now because I would like to do some web programming, but I still on my C++ road, reading my second book and learning to use SFML, I have not made a complete simple game yet, but I keep learning.

About a scripting language, they teached Python this year on the school and I had already played with Python before learning C++.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16

Blog: exchargedeeletri.wordpress.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement