"Stun Down" Status Effect Icon

Started by
3 comments, last by Kimimaru 9 years, 4 months ago

I have a game where your character can obtain a "Stun Down" Status Effect, which reduces the time your character is in hitstun. I'm currently trying to create a 12x12 icon for this effect, but I'm having trouble thinking of what could represent this icon.

To represent a "Stunned" effect, most games tend to use a dizzy swirl or stars (An example: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Crowd_control - look down at "Stun"). I made one of these and put a down arrow on top, but with only a 12x12 space to work with the arrow was either too small or too large, making the entire image confusing and look crudely done. Additionally, this made it look like a negative effect when it is in fact a positive one.

So in short, if anyone has any ideas for how a 12x12 "Stun Down" Status Effect icon should look, please let me know. All help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

I will play with it today, but my question is why only 12x12... that is such a small icon it is not even funny.

Thanks for your reply! The game's resolution is 416x320 and the Status Effect icons are on the HUD at the top. There are options in-game to scale up the screen size.

Do you have a consistent "decrease/increase potency" symbol for your game? You don't want each icon to use a different symbol language.

With only 12x12, I'd consider downward-pointing chevrons (indicating 'decrease') continuously as a background, with stars or the whirl over the background.

To indicate that the decrease is a postive thing, I'd make the chevrons green.

Because yellow usually indicates 'stun' in games, even if you go with a swirl, you'll might still want the swirl to be yellow.

First attempt: Chevrons as background, with yellow swirl

Attempt_A.png

(Too confusing)

(Here's just the chevrons: Chevrons_and_attempted_stars.png)

Second attempt: Single chevron, with smaller swirl over it

Attempt_B.png

(The chevron didn't indicate 'downward' enough)

Third attempt: Small swirl with arrow next to it

Attempt_C.png

I think this last one is the best I can do.

Thanks for your reply!

I have Damage, Defense, and Speed Boost/Down Status Effects, and they are represented by Up and Down arrows colored Red, Blue, and Green, respectively. "Stun Down" is the only other Status Effect in the game that has the word "Boost" or "Down" in it, so I haven't had any trouble creating the other icons.

Servant, that last one is actually just what I'm looking for; thank you very much! I really appreciate all the help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement