Where to go from here?

Started by
2 comments, last by kseh 9 years, 4 months ago

Hi, i would like to get some advice for gamedeveloping from you guys. I´ve been programming websites(php,jquery,javascript, html,sql) and Flash (As3) games for a while, and i´ve been thinking to make a game outside flash and withou any gameEngine like unity or Udk or gameMaker...

I know little c++ i´ve been learning all syntax difference from other languages that i´m comfortable with and i´ve understood the basics and how c++ works(i hope) but, never made nothing with it only console based little scripts such as hello world, testing loops, and functions, cout and cin etc...
I´m thinking this could be my starting point to make a game outside flash, but i don´t understand how graphics work here on c++, i ´ve read some articles about libs but i´m completly new to this and i´m confused.

On flash i can creat as.file make class main and from there i create a symbol that allows me to acces it from script, and on script i can construct that object and add it to stage or a container, but on c++ i dunno if the process to create a sprite or something similar it is the same or it is completly different... so i guess i´m stuck with this, and its here wher i need some help/advice.

Can anyone provide me with good information on how graphics work on c++ ? any good books or tutorials?

My plan in short is to make some 2d games at first and then try 3d, nothing too fancy just to understand things around c++ first, then i go from there.

Thank you.

Advertisement

I know little c++ i´ve been learning all syntax difference from other languages that i´m comfortable with and i´ve understood the basics and how c++ works(i hope) but, never made nothing with it only console based little scripts such as hello world, testing loops, and functions, cout and cin etc...
I´m thinking this could be my starting point to make a game outside flash, but i don´t understand how graphics work here on c++, i ´ve read some articles about libs but i´m completly new to this and i´m confused.

You aren't ready for graphics with C++. Little "scripts" (we generally call them programs in C++) printing text and running some loops don't provide a sufficient background in the conceptual that you'll need before embarking on getting a window open, handling events, rendering into it, et cetera (all of which requires external libraries and knowledge of more than the trivialities of C++).
If you want to continue to pursue C++ as a language for building games, the next step you should take is another incremental one: make a game with only the knowledge of C++ you have.
The typical thing I recommend is to create a "guess-the-number" game. This can be done with only text-based input and output, and there are a lot of interesting things you can explore with it to stretch your C++ (specifically) and software development (generally) muscles. For example, a basic version of the game uses a fixed, hard-coded number. A more complex one generates the number randomly. Ever more complex is to limit the number of guesses, or to give the user hints about how close they are to the proper guess.
Beyond guess-the-number might be hangman, a slightly more complex game that involves the tracking of much more state across multiple frames of the game. If you can build those, I would suggest doing so and then posting the implementation on this forum (in a new thread, please) for review and critique. Once you feel comfortable with that, you can move on to 2D graphics by using a library like SMFL to get a basic window open and rendering.

That´s seem a good start, thank you for simplifying things and share a well constructive solution.

Another game that I think a beginner should consider trying (after guess the number) is Blackjack. It also works very nicely as a text only game and what I like about it is that you can start with a very basic implementation just trying to get to 21 with random numbers from 1 to 10 and then adding support for 1 through 10 and the face cards, adding logic to handle the ace as either 1 or 11, simulating shuffeling the deck of cards, adding betting and a dealer (the rules dealers follow are pretty simple).

The other thing that's nice about it is that, when the time comes to try working with graphics, Blackjack can look good with just static images. You don't have to worry about moving things or animation until you're ready. Also, it shouldn't be difficult to find or create your own art resources.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement