Movie sequence Video Game

Started by
2 comments, last by 3DVRFanatic 9 years, 3 months ago

Hi

I'm currently working on a new project. This will be an interactive game (using kinect) where the main protagonist (you) will be playing accompagned by 2 real actors filmed and blended (using green chromakeying) in a 3D rendered environnement. The player will have to execute series of actions to complete the quests.

The player is not really evolving freely in the 3D space. When moving, he will only follow predetermined paths (like crossing a bridge). The player will be interacting with the environnement (like destroying obstacles) but always in the same manner.

I think that it might not be efficient to use a classic 3D game engine for this application, because I will have to deal with complex environnement meshes, shaders and effects, even if the player is not freely evolving in the environnement.

So I was more thinking about creating my game with layers of small video sequences. For example : The environnement is a back layer with a cyclic prerendered sequence of the environnement, and the obstacle is a front layer sequence in pause status, waiting for the player to perform the correct action to play its "destroying" prerendered sequence.

Doing so, I hope to be able to spend less time on the game development by letting my graphist focusing on "top-quality prerendered sequences".

Questions :

• Do you know a project that already used the same principle ?

• Does a game engine exists (preferably open-source) for this type of game ?

• What library (preferably C++ or Java) could I use to play (forward and reverse) multiple layers of video sequences ? (OpenCV seems to have problems playing backwards...)

I am fully opened to any remark, suggestion or answer ! Thanks !

Advertisement

Hi,

It sounds interesting. Nice idea. Although I don't know any project that used the same principal, but I would recommend you to use Adventure Game Studio, Aleph One, Crystal Space. I think you should prefer C++. Try it. Wish you best of Luck.

Thanks.

Mariah Albert dedicated to Appliconic

I believe some 3DO games have attempted that in the 90s.
FYI, that console was a huge flop.
I'm not saying that was the reason though.

Well, I didin't even know about 3DO. So, yes...that as a huge flop.

The reason I would like to create a game with pre-rendered sequences is because the project I'm working on is part a game, part an artistic experience.

So I would like the creative minds (not me) to be able to use all the graphics they want (drawing, movie footage, pre-rendered animations, photography...etc). Doing so, they will even be able to use photo-realisitic environnement, just using tools they know (Gimp, Photoshop, Blender...etc).

I am testing right now a custom solution using OpenFrameworks to read the video sequences and to mix them with alpha-per-pixel.

Problem : I fear about performances problems. Indeed, I would like to overlay around 7 video sequences, sizing 1920x1080. I might have some problems while accessing to them (is a SSD enough ?), decoding them simultaneously and blending them (is the CPU powerfull enough ?)

For the blending, I think it might be really efficient to do it on the GPU. But then, I still need enough GPU RAM bandwidth to transfer the frames in real-time...

Well, I have got so many questions that need an answer....

Every advice is greatly welcomed !!!! biggrin.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement