The Game Environment: Not just Graphics

Started by
15 comments, last by d000hg 9 years, 4 months ago

BEGIN RANT:

Now I am getting into sound for games, and I am taken aback to something I learned early on:

People tend to focus more on graphics today than actual good gameplay, game design, sound design, etc.

Right now, all I have running in my game is a few sound effects, and the longer I let it loop, I get more ideas on how the environment of this sound track would look.

There is a creaking door, and a distant rainstorm. Now I can visualize the graphics in my head, and I actually feel like I am close to being there. The anticipation is built even before I make my first model (and I don't even have a game at this point to make).

A lot of people might rant and rave about the graphics of the Last of Us, but what about that sound? What about that game design?

A lot of investment goes into graphics software, but not as much focus is there for music (no-proprietary for games) or perhaps even less to focus on just the game logic aspect of games (not code, but just some sort of logic mapping software? Innovation!)

I think I might like to get some 3D sound in this game to make the player even more submerged in the game.

I mean, you can't have a 90" television without a serious surround sound system to compliment it. And what else? A nice comfortable room, with good lighting perhaps? You have to have the temperature right. The smell even plays a role.

Neat idea: what about packaging a game with a fragrance that is meant to be in the room while playing it? Or perhaps an automatic fragrance blower that is connected to the system to release fragrances at certain levels? They say that smell induces emotions.

Environment!

END RANT:

So, what do you guys do to create "Environment" in your games?

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

People tend to focus more on graphics today than actual good gameplay, game design, sound design, etc.

I think I might like to get some 3D sound in this game to make the player even more submerged in the game.

So, what do you guys do to create "Environment" in your games?

1: That has been an "issue" since the bit wars back in the early 90's .

2: Using 5 channel is a bit excessive, especially when most folks only use 2 channel stereo ( stereophonic ) equipment to listen to the game . A good sound design would utilize real time channel mixing and balancing based on were the sound is coming from compared to were the player's character is .

3: I let the player use their imagination. Since I am a hobby programmer, I have no access to high quality music / sounds .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

These things are being explored. I clump it under the "immersion" category.

Movie theatres that project fragrances in the room during certain scenes.

Lighting rigs that change the lighting and color of the lighting in the room based on the game. Some are for behind the TV, some are for behind the player's chair.

Full projections for added immersion - IllumiRoom

Rumble chairs that vibrate based on the action on-screen (both in theatres and as custom videogaming chairs) (taken to extremes, the entire chairs move around and lift off the ground in some theates).

3D monitors/TVs, 3D screens (Nintendo 3DS), and head tracking. (obsoleted by VR)

Vests with force feedback you wear while playing, so you can "feel" the impact.

Fan rigs that blow air on you dynamically based on the wind and explosions in-game.

Surround sound so the sound is coming from all directions based on the 3D positioning of the sound within the game world.

The lighting issue becomes obsolete with full VR like the Occulus rift.

VR is (possibly) complimented by body rigs that allow physical motion to translate to ingame motion - see the Omni.

That's for the hardware people to work on. What can game designers do? They work on atmosphere. I've talked about it here and also a little in this thread.

Yes, Immersion is the keyword.

I do use a game engine that has relative sound, so the sound has an actual location.

I just made a small demo that just explores using sound to create a mood or "atmosphere."

Thanks Servant of the Lord for that information, I will explore all of them. I think a mix between VR and AR (Augmented Reality) would be really cool too.

Right now, main focus is Sound. We are used to appealing to the eyes, but the only time I had some real earcandy is when I learned of 3D sounds. There is an app that gives you a virtual haircut. I am wondering why I haven't seen this technology in AAA games.

When I upload the demo, I will link to it here.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

I am wondering why I haven't seen this technology in AAA games.

You most probably have, you just havn't realized it.

I'm pretty sure most AAA titles have 3d positional sounds.

For some reason, sound effects are not as obvious to people as visual effects, and often go "unnoticed" until they are removed or pointed out....

But they definitely are vital for the total experience.

For some reason, sound effects are not as obvious to people as visual effects, and often go "unnoticed" until they are removed or pointed out....

I think humans are mostly visual and that. on average, our eyesight is stronger than our hearing. </speculation>

Whereas my dog, for example, can't see a rabbit fifteen feet in front of her, but can hear roughly on par with me (if not slightly better), and can smell an immense deal better than me.

A good example of heavy use of sound processing effects, is a modern FPS like Battlefield.

Position just a tiny part of it, also speed of sound source is relevant (doppler effect) and what the sound source stands next to, what the rest of the environment looks like (open area or closed), and also the state of the listener is relevant. (notice what happens if a big bomb goes off close to you.. you mostly hear beeping and muffled sound for a while :)

A good example of heavy use of sound processing effects, is a modern FPS like Battlefield.

Yeah - the sound mix and design in Battlefield 4 is exceptional.

One of the problems that you get in a lot of online FPS games is that the weapons all have very similar frequency ranges, so when you get a lot of guns firing at once the sound gets very muddy.

Battlefield 4 gets around this in a number of ways. First off all of the individual weapon sounds are very well designed; it's easy to tell what weapons are firing around you based on sound alone, even in the middle of an intense firefight. They also have a very good audio HDR implementation.

Another example of great audio design is Alien : Isolation; the environmental audio in that game is nothing short of spectacular.

Unfortunately sound doesn't get much love in many AAA projects, lots of titles don't have dedicated audio programmers - let alone sound designers.

Almost all titles will have 3D positional sound; anything using Wwise definitely will. 3D positioning for audio events is almost inconsequential to implement. But as Olof mentioned, positioning is only a tiny, tiny part of what needs to be taken in to account for good audio design.

For some reason, sound effects are not as obvious to people as visual effects

I think that's inherent with sound design; if it's done well you don't notice it, it just enhances the overall immersion in the game world. On the flip side, bad sound design stands out like a sore thumb.

I think humans are mostly visual and that. on average, our eyesight is stronger than our hearing. </speculation>

I think you'll find that's the other way around; our eye sight is pretty poor and limited - good for tracking animals to hunt and to jump between trees, pretty poor otherwise. (Fun fact; when your eyes move your brain stops processing visual data until it stabilises again - so when you look left or right as a car driver all you saw was what was in front of you when you started and where you were looking at the end, your brain made the rest up.)

In fact you'll notice audio drops/glitches much easier than you'll notice visual ones simply because your brain isn't doing as much compensation.
(As for a dog; dog's worlds are very smell directed rather than visual based thus the rabbit problem.)

Graphics are one of those things which are just easier to show off; you get screen shots and wonderful flashy trailers which look good on a 1080p screen and give you lots of Hollywood wiz-bang; where as audio setup for most people tends to suck - $10 speakers attached to an onboard sound system with the same fidelity as an ant blowing into a trumpet.

That said, audio tends to get a fair amount of processing time dedicated to it; in OFP:Red River for every graphics frame we were rendering on the console (30fps) you would see at least 5 audio frames of processing happening and eating pretty much a whole core on the X360 so audio can get a pretty good chunk of resources. (The audio guys also put a lot of work into the sound design, the J-DAM explosion sound was a thing of beauty and worked well with the particle system around it.)

As others have said, the audio design in many games is good, you just don't get it thrown in your face because it tends to be more subtle.
My favourite bit which springs to mind is the background computer chatter in Dead Space; sets the tone really well and when you focus in on it then it is damn creepy... Vampire : Bloodlines also had some pretty cool sound design, in fact I hold up the first mission proper in a haunted hotel as one of the best bits of game design I've encountered as the graphics, sound design and pacing are just spot on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement