Quick question regarding developing game for mobile

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 9 years, 3 months ago

Do I actually need the iOS and Android module on the GameMaker Studio to publish my game to the marketplace. Or are they just an ease tool for developing on the mobile?

Advertisement
http://www.yoyogames.com/studio/system-requirements

GameMaker only runs on Windows but you can export to many platforms with the modules.

So YES you do need modules to publish your game. Also you need a Mac to publish to the Apple store.

All the information is provided on their website, go read it.

On a related note you can use the Intel XDK to publish html5 apps for IOS without needing a mac at all.

However, if youre writing a game in RPG maker, this probably just leaves you out of luck...

You can develop for iOS on a PC using assorted combinations of tools. I don't know if GM:S can build the final parts for you or if it relies on the mac's toolchain to build it. There are assorted emulators and possibly-illegal mac clone software that can bypass some of the parts. Either way, building the software is just one tiny step in the process.

If all you care about is development --- not putting it on the store --- you don't need to give Apple any money. You can use tools like software-builders and tools like Flash + Adobe Air and various emulators instead of doing it the sanctioned way. That will only get you so far.

If you intend to put it on the store you need to get several things from Apple.

You will need to join Apple's developer program, which is $99/year.

To publish on Apple's store without violating the ToS, you need a mac running at least the Mountain Lion version of the OS. You can find used ones on ebay and other sites for very little money.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement