• Create Account

Reusing transformed vertices

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Goodlife   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 January 2000 - 09:18 AM

Hi all, This is a sort of a re-hash on a post below, made a little more coherent. Here''s my problem: In my software engine writing days, the first optimization I did in 3d was to re-use a transformed pixel whenever possible, so I could spare myself all the sin/cosine time-killers. Alas, in my version of software engines, I attached my texture to TRIANGLE and not to VERTEX, the exact opposite of the way direct3d does it. Now, with my d3d engine, I am recomputing many vertices over and over again, just because they have different texture coordinates. It does seem to be taking a speed hit, because I am computing 30*30 vertices, FOUR TIMES, since I can''t reuse the corners on my grid. So my question is, can I have a direct3d vertex that gets computed once, but has different texture coordinates? In the directx sdk, it says that you can attach up to 8 textures to a vertex, but shockingly, the informative, well-written, easy-to-navigate, precise, clear, coherent, and superbly cross-referenced sdk help files don''t tell you how to actually do it! So, if anyone has experience in attaching more than one texture coordinate to a vertex, and then referencing it, please assist! And please don''t suggest that I look at one of the sdk examples. Those were written by martians for martians. Thanks in advance! --Goodlife

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS