• Create Account

Which is faster?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Goodlife   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 January 2000 - 09:26 AM

Hi all, quick question to anyone who knows: Which is REALLY faster? Transforming vertices yourself, or letting direct3d do it? I know direct3d probably uses pentium calls and other things that I don''t know how to use properly. On the other hand, for the kind of program I need, I only need to rotate the x and y, and ADD in the z (instead of doing a big transform). However, this IS slowed down because of all the conversions I need to do in direct3d to turn human numbers into a floating point number between 0 and 1. Wanted to know if anyone has a take. Thanks-- Goodlife

Sponsor:

#2 Facehat   Members   -  Reputation: 696

Posted 17 January 2000 - 11:07 AM

Well, one reason to allow D3D to do the transformations is that it takes advantage of hardware T&L. Besides that, It also uses things like AMD''s 3DNow and Intels instructions.

--TheGoop

#3 mason   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 18 January 2000 - 06:34 AM

Yeah, I agree - in general, D3D would be faster.

Can you time your program each way, or maybe let the user select whichever runs faster on their machine?

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!
www.spin-studios.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS